five.

five

The room was illuminated by the distant light in the kitchen area. Night time crickets sounded outside. Pru had finally gotten back to the apartment ten minutes ago and she was exhausted. All week the girl had no luck. Falling back onto the couch in defeat. Finding a job was difficult for her. Being pregnant it seemed to be a red flag to business places. Only catching a few interviews throughout the week, they all seemed to end on an awkward note. She knew that it was best to give the heads up that she was carrying a child so she could make sure she was able to get maternity leave. But right when the interviewers found out, they would clam up and lie telling her that they would be in touch. She just wanted something to get her on her feet. The girl felt useless not being able to work during the day. And she felt bad for crashing in Jay's living room.

The sound of the front door opening pulled Pru's attention towards the direction of the sound. Stepping into the apartment and setting his keys down on the counter. Jay then made his way towards the opening of the living room as he leaned against the wall, looking at the girl. He looked exhausted as he pushed himself off the wall and made his way towards the couch. His eyes had landed on the basketball game that was on the tv. Standing behind the couch with his eyes glued on the game, making Pru internally laugh.

"How was work today?" Pru spoke up as Jay's eyes that were on the tv shifted to focus on the blonde girl.

"The case we've been working on all week was tiring. We had barely any evidence for awhile, but we finally closed it." Jay told her as he ran his hand over his tired face.

"Anyway... How was your job searching this week?" Jay questioned as Pru sighed.

"It didn't go quite well. The one I was so close to getting, choked up when I brought up the need for maternity leave in a few months." Pru replied as she began to pick at the couch pillow beside her.

"Honestly, I'm just trying to find something. I need to keep myself busy and start making some money. I feel bad for crashing here longer than I originally intended. You probably want privacy in your own apartment, so I'm sorry." Pru apologized as Jay frowned.

"Hey, you don't have to apologize. I don't mind at all." Jay told her as he looked around the main part of the apartment then he walked around the couch to sit down on the arm of the couch.

"You only appreciate my presence because I cleaned up the place." Pru pointed out which made Jay chuckle as he shook his head.

"That's not the only reason. You're not a bad person to talk to either." Jay said and Pru smiled at the man. He wasn't a bad person to talk to either. Things kind of just seemed to flow when they talked. It was something the girl wasn't used to. It was nice.

"Have you tried to talk to Voight? Maybe he can help find a job for you. He has a lot of contacts around the city." Jay brought up. The girl shrugged at his idea.

"I don't want to bother him with something as simple as that." Pru trailed off as she turned her attention to the screen in front of them. She just hated the idea of asking others for help. One of the same reasons why she felt bad for staying with Jay. She felt like she was bugging him with her presence.

"He specifically told you to come to him if you ever needed anything." Jay said as Pru continued to look at the tv. That still didn't make her feel any better.