thirty eight.

thirty eight.

The room was filled with tired people. They were all invested in the case, but Jay Halstead was obviously invested more. Pru sat around the crime board with Adam, Hank, Hailey and Jay. The case had stretched into a third day with only a little bit of info on Daniel. Carlos still wasn't cooperating and soon they wouldn't be able to hold him for any longer. And they were all working their asSes off to get this case closed. Daniel was on the run and hiding at the very moment. But Jay, he hadn't rested still. He had stayed up all night again which had only further concerned Pru. Jay was more determined then ever to get his father justice. What really worried Pru was the look that he held in his eyes. It was the look like he wasn't going to let anything or anyone stop him from catching Daniel. Jay had lost his father and was now hellbent on solving the case even if he had to get ahead of everyone else. He didn't seem to care in the moment if it all ended up killing him. And the blonde girl couldn't take another death. None of the unit could take one right now.

"Juan Mendoza. He's 28 years old. He's Carlos' other son. He's got no connection to the cartel. He's married. Got three kids. He's got a good job downtown. We pick him up, he's our access point to Carlos." Jay presented his idea to Voight, Ruzek, and the Upton sisters as he stood in front of the board.

"We ran Juan. We got nothing on him." Adam told Jay.

"They don't know that. Contrary to public opinion, fathers have favorites. If we squeeze Juan, Carlos rolls on Daniel." Jay responded.

"Jay, that's too risky." Pru spoke up.

"Yeah. We get Juan involved, then he's actually involved. The cartel starts gunning for him too." Hailey added.

"Yeah, man. That ain't right. There's gotta be a better way to do this." Adam agreed with the sisters.

"Like what?" Jay questioned as they all got quiet.

"Exactly. We're at a dead end, right? I don't even know why we're debating this." Jay said as he leaned on his desk.

"Because this could put a target on an innocent man's life, Jay." Pru told him.

"Five other innocent people died because of this guy's not-so-innocent brother and father. So I'm sorry if my heart doesn't bleed like yours." Jay snapped.

"Excuse me?" Pru let out as she looked at Jay, taking a challenging step towards him. Hailey pulled Pru back as Voight butted in.

"Okay. That's enough. It's what we have so it's what we will use. Bring him in." Voight instructed as he walked away. Pru didn't take her eyes off of Jay as she continued to glare at him. The man standing there wasn't the one she knew. She yanked her arm away from Hailey.

"I'm staying here with, Toni." Pru muttered before she walked away.

+

Once Juan was picked up. He was put into an interrogation room where Voight and Antonio took over. Soon enough they had gotten Carlos to cooperate in order for Juan to be released. Hailey, Jay, Antonio, Voight, and Pru stood around the bullpen to go over everything. Pru had still yet to talk to Jay again. Trying to avoid him and any conversing with him after the issue from the morning. She didn't want to be in his path when he tried to destroy everything in his way. So she had kept her distance unless they needed to all regroup for the case.