The Edge of Unknowing.

"Venus? We shouldn't be out here. Venus, come on please can we just go?" The blonde boy asked. He weaved through the trees trying to keep up with his best friend but failing miserably. She was the best in their training group and he was a fool to think that he had the speed or agility to keep up with her. "Everyone in TonDc saw the ship. The scouts will be here soon and if we get caught..." he pleaded again, his green eyes darting around the forest desperately to make sure that the pair didn't get caught.

"Stellan, I am not afraid of the scouts. You know I could kill all of them before they even got a chance to draw their swords." Venus stated looking back to her best friend with a smug smirk. She effortlessly leaped over fallen logs and ducked under low branches until she reached what she was looking for. The dark haired girl began to clamber up a small tree until she reached its highest branch. Her face filled with amazement and wonder. "Come quick! I can see them." She said as she looked down at Stellan who had began to climb the tree as well. He perched beside her and his face mirrored the same expression as hers. The pair stared at the strange contraption before them. It was a massive, black, steel container that towered over even the tallest tree. However that was not what excited Venus. It was the strange people who began pouring out of it. They scattered in all directions in a blissful frenzy. "Can you believe it, Stellan? The sky people have returned." Venus grinned broadly, unable to contain her amazement. Venus had spent her whole 18 years on earth looking up at space, wishing she could see it. From a young age she was told about the sky people and how they abandoned her ancestors during praimfaya. The rest of her people hated them for that but Venus envied them. She spent her youth scavenging for old books about astronomy and constellations and studied them religiously. She wasn't naive enough to think that she would ever get to see space, but seeing the people who had spent their lives there was good enough for her.

"What do you think they're like?" Venus asked admiring them.

"I don't know, but I don't think we should stick around to find out. They could be hostile." Stellan said as he began to descend the tree. "Let's go Venus." He looked up to see her still watching the sky people in awe. She knew he was right but she didn't want to pull her eyes away from them. Reluctantly, she clambered down the tree and darted back into the woods.

***

The pair arrived at their village, breathless and sweating. They then made their way back to their homes. "Where did you go, Venus?" Her father asked sternly. He was well aware of her curious nature. The truth behind it being that she was attracted to this edge of unknowing, of hope and fear, she instinctively knew that surfing it was precondition for growth and transformation. When she was younger, he was able to contain her by telling her the mountain men would capture her or she would be eaten by a panther, in order to frighten her into behaving. However as Venus grew, so did her strength. She was one of the most impressive fighters in TonDc and fear became a foreign emotion to her.

"To the trading post. I wanted to see if Nayla had anymore space books." She told her father convincingly. Venus had disobeyed their leader, Anya's, instructions not to go anywhere near the sky people and she knew that she would be punished. Her father, Danson, was a war chief and he took rules very seriously, which frustrated Venus immensely as she was going through a slight rebellious phase. Danson looked at Venus, unconvinced however he had more important things to deal with.

"Anya has called a meeting to discuss our new neighbours. I want you to find Lincoln and continue your healer training." He instructed his daughter before heading off towards the largest hut in the village. Venus rolled her eyes. Her father had always urged her to become a healer and follow in the footsteps of her late mother however she knew she was more suited to her father's path. She was a warrior, and an impressive one at that.