Necessary Sacrifices.

"Morning cutie." Venus heard Bellamy say. To her, hearing that word was the equivalent of hearing nails being dragged along a chalk board. She woke up and rubbed her eyes. The Blake boys lanky physique stood at the mouth of the cave, staring out into the seemingly vacant forest. His posture wasn't lazy and relaxed like it usually was, it was upright and stern. He was shifting his weight from foot to foot and cracking his knuckles aggressively. The apprehensive look was something that Bellamy never usually sported. Even with the messy and untamed forest of hairs that sat atop his head and the anxious scowl he was wearing, Venus couldn't deny that he was a nice sight to wake up to. Venus and Charlotte went to meet him at the cave entrance. The older boy looked her up and down and smirked.

"What? Is it my bed head?" She said sarcastically.

Bellamy laughed "no, it's my jacket" he responded. Without realising she had put his jacket on. She looked down, and was immediately hit with the sweet scent of pinecones, smoke from the bonfire and a slight trace of sweat; the smell of Bellamy. Embarrassed, she began taking the jacket off. "Keep it." Bellamy instructed "it looks better on you" Venus smiled at the kind gesture.

"I don't know. I don't think anyone could pull it off aswell as sex god Bellamy Blake" she said rolling her eyes. Bellamy laughed and shook his head at her sarcasm.

"Please, your name is literally sex god." Bellamy retorted, triggering a giggle from Venus as she held her hands up in mock surrender. Bellamy gently shoved her backwards, teasingly.

"Anybody out there?" Bellamy yelled into the forest. The trio waited anxiously for a response and a few moments later they heard the rustling of leaves and snapping of twigs.

"Over hear!" A familiar sounding voice called out. Bellamy, Charlotte and Venus ran in the direction of the shout, in search of the source.

They were greeted by Mbege, Connor and a few of the other boys who had been on the hunting party with them. "We got to some caves over there. What the hell was that?" Connor asked, clearly still terrified that the smoke could reappear.

"I have no idea. We made it to some..." Bellamy began to recount the events that had taken place the previous night however his story was cut short by the sound of an all too familiar scream. Venus and Bellamy darted back through the trees to find Charlotte standing over Atoms blistered and boiled body. He was on the brink of death. Venus had seen too many of her people in this condition and there was no going back. The kindest thing for Atom would be death. "Go back to camp." Bellamy snapped. "You too Charlotte." He said in a much softer tone and she obeyed. He looked to Venus who had knelt by Atoms body.

Atom was whispering something barely audible. Bellamy joined Venus beside Atom and leaned down to hear what he was saying. "K-kill me, please B-Bellamy." Atom begged, locking eyes with his leader. Bellamy looked away in discomfort.

"Venus why don't you head back with the others." Bellamy suggested shakily as he pulled out his knife from his back pocket. Obviously disturbed at the brutal condition of his friend. Venus reached over and placed her hand over his.

"I'm not letting you do this alone." She whispered as she looked into his eyes. Bellamy nodded reluctantly and held the tip of the blade to Atoms throat. He was practically quaking with remorse for his friend. Venus could see the tears begin to pool in Bellamys eyes. She could tell that he was still drowning in the guilt from killing the chancellor and with the added weight of killing his friend, Bellamy might just break. Venus couldn't let that happen. She needed to keep him in power. As well as this, Venus had lost count of how many lives she had taken, she had pushed past the guilt and now only saw them as necessary sacrifices. What was the point in turning Bellamy into a fully fledged killer when she already was one. She gently slid the knife out of Bellamys hand and held it in her own. "I'm going to help you, okay? Just close your eyes. It'll all be over soon." Venus whispered gently as she ran her fingers through Atoms hair softly, trying to bring him some comfort. She gently plunged the blade into the side of Atoms neck and watched with a blank expression as the blood began to filter out of his neck. Venus continued stroking his hair and began to hum a soft tune in an attempt to ease Atoms suffering in the last moments of his life. Bellamy just stared at her in awe. She did the one thing Bellamy was too weak to do, with ease.

Venus heard footsteps come from behind them but she continued to hum until she was sure that Atom was dead. "We heard a scream and got here as..." Clarke trailed off when she noticed Venus sat over Atoms deformed body. "Is he..." she began to ask breathlessly. Venus leaned over and put her ear to the dying boys mouth, checking for any sign of life. She furrowed her brow when she heard nothing and turned to Clarke, Finn, Bellamy and Wells, who were staring at her solemnly.

"Dead. Yeah." She declared as she stood up and brushed the mud off her trousers. The four of them were staring at her in disbelief. Why was she so blasé about a young mans life being torn away from him. "Come on, we need to carry him back to camp." Venus instructed, her voice devoid of any emotion.

***

Venus and Clarke entered the camp first. The Blonde immediately began firing orders at people in order to help Jasper. Octavia made her way out of the drop ship and headed directly for Venus. Her eyes lit up at the sight of her. "You made it! Where's Bellamy?" Octavia asked with a toothy grin. Venus' face dropped. She knew how deeply Octavia had cared for Atom. Although she had managed to control it, she still knew how destructive and heavy the burden of grief could be. Once upon a time, Venus had almost let the grief of her mother's death crush her. She didn't wish that ghastly fate on anyone, not even her enemies.

"Maybe we should go and talk." Venus began to say as she tried to direct her attention away from Bellamy, Finn and Wells who were entering the camp, carrying Atoms lifeless body. Despite Venus' best efforts, Octavia refused to tear her eyes away from her brother. She squirmed her way out of the older girls grip and began to dart towards the small crowd gathering at the entrance to the camp.

"Octavia, just stay there. Please, stay back." Bellamy pleaded desperately. But it was too late; Octavia had already peeled back the cloth that they had used to cover Atoms body. She let out a strangled sob at the sight of his deceased body. "O, O please... there was nothing I could do." Bellamy tried to grapple for an explanation but Octavia just stood up and glared at him through tear filled eyes.

"Don't!" She hissed at her older brother before storming away.

Venus rubbed Bellamys shoulder gently. "She'll come around." She whispered trying her best to be comforting. Bellamy gave her a sad smile as he watched his sister depart. He then turned to face Murphy who had just approached them.

"Did you lose anyone here." Bellamy asked desperately. Murphy shook his head. The fact that he actually seemed disappointed by the fact that nobody died made Venus feel uneasy.

"Jasper?" He asked.

"He's still hanging on. I tried to take him out but your psycho little sister" before he could finish his sentence Bellamy had shoved Murphy backwards with such force that he nearly hit the ground. The older boy grabbed him by his collar and jerked him backwards.

"My what?" He screamed in Murphy's terrified face.

"your little sister"Murphy quickly corrected himself. Venus had never seen Bellamy this angry, he usually always wore the same smug expression but now he was fuming. Venus couldn't deny how sexy he looked.

"That's right. Got anything else you want to say about her?" Bellamy said tightening his grip on Murphy who shook his head. "Good." He hissed as he roughly released Murphy. The younger boy quickly retreated to his tent, fearful of upsetting Bellamy anymore.

"What a fun day that was." Venus said with raised eyebrows. Bellamy couldn't help but smile at her sarcasm.

"And we get to do it all again tomorrow." Bellamy said with a false smile before making his way to his tent.