Chapter 3

Penelope's POV...

I raucously roar, levitating Grace in the air like a rocket and she's laughing, enjoying our playtime. I loved playing with Grace; she's imaginative and open-minded. I didn't have the room for imagination as a child and to see Grace free from survival mode, able to embrace her childhood, is more rewarding than anything. Grace was born a happy child; she was born as my redemption to life. Although, she came untimely and wasn't planned, her presence removes majority of my regrets.

I kissed her on the cheek as I set her down. "What do you want for lunch, squirt?"

She smirks, "Pasta."

"That's dinner. How about a sandwich?"

"Pasta sandwich?"

I rolled my eyes as I go into the fridge, removing the ingredients to make a sandwich. Grace takes out a drawing pad and her colored pencils. "What are you drawing?"

"The animals we're going to see at the zoo." She smirks, drawing out an animal's face structure. I smile softly as she begins dreaming out loud. "We're going to see monkeys, bears, and maybe even lions."

"You won't be scared?"

She shakes her head. "No. I know they're in cages, so they can't get me."

I nodded. "What else are we seeing?"

"Tigers, maybe the penguins, and ooh! We have to see the elephants." She arches her eyebrow, scratching her nose. "Are there elephants at the zoo?"

"I'm sure, if we look hard enough." I've never been to the zoo as a kid. Her guess is as good as mine. I slide her the sandwich after removing the crust. "We're going to see giraffes, zebras, and snakes."

"Sounds fun!" She giggles as I peck her cheek.

Harper comes into the apartment, checking the mail. "Hello, I'm home."

"Auntie Harper," Grace calls, "Mommy and I are going to the zoo."

"When I get the money, of course." I leaned on the counter, adding that bit that Grace has to understand.

Harper arches her eyebrow, giving me a look of disbelief as her mind retracts to me owing her five grand. She gives me a sigh and smiles along with Grace. "Sounds great! Lunch looks great."

Grace nods as Harper joins me in the kitchen. She waves a bill in my face. "Electric and gas."

I groan, taking it out of her hand. "Would it be too much if I asked you if you could cover this? I'm completely broke. I don't even have a cent to my name."

Harper sarcastically hums, holding her chin. Her bright brown eyes track to the ceiling as if she's thinking. "No."

I gasped, "Harper!"

"I wish I could, but I don't trust that you'll pay me back the five grand and the bill back."

"I don't have any money."

"I understand, but you brought this on yourself. You never want handouts; I won't offer." She folds her arms, using my own words against me. Fuck you, Harper!

"What the fuck?" I fold my arms. "I will pay you back, OK? If I don't pay this bill, we all won't have electric or gas. I've been doing the best I can."

Harper takes a deep breath. "Penelope, you know I love you. I have been your biggest fan since forever."

I sigh. "Harper, please. Just until I get another job or-or until I hear back from the job." I never felt the need to beg, but because I valued Harper's help, I needed to plea. I didn't want to ask for help; my pride is my crippling trait, but this was weighing down on me. "Harper, please. I am good for it."