Chapter 10

Elijah's POV...

I rushed to Maxwell's location, a little farm house just ten miles south of downtown. My leg shook in anger the whole ride as Kenneth drove in silence. I wrung my hands, wanting Alexa's neck in-between my fists. She fucked up royally and not only is our own operations at risk, but we could have a rebellion within our camps that could completely eradicate my father's business. If we have no muscle to move products, there's no money coming in. How could her pride and selfishness get in the way of what she's been groomed to put first?

Kenneth pulls the car onto the lawn, parking it inches from the porch. I notice Alexa's car sitting next to Maxwell's van. She's here, good. I hop out and get inside the house. Maxwell's home was in the middle of nowhere, nothing but a cool stretch of twenty acres before the next neighbor. It's better to deal with any private issues in his home. Behind his home, in a dislocated barn fifty yards behind; one of our labs was occupied with workers.

"Maxwell..." I greet, nodding my head. I see Alexa, sitting with her head in her hands at the table. I'm glad she's feeling the repercussions. "What the hell?"

"You don't have to say anymore. You were right."

"How many are dead?"

"Rafael and two other guys." Alexa reports. "Everyone else backed off, but it was hostile."

"Well that would happen when you overreact with unwarranted power." I explained, taking a deep breath. She looked like she had been shaking. Our men are always guarded with weapons and they could've easily band against her, dragging her underneath a guillotine.

Alexa pushes her wavy hair out of her face and she takes a deep breath. "So I fucked up. What do I do?"

"I don't know," I admit. "This is the first time it's happened. You got trigger happy and now our camp probably doesn't trust us."

"You're into the business world," she suggested, "Damage control, right?"

"Alexa, if you had heeded to my warnings, we wouldn't be in this mess."

She slams her hand on the table. "Well you weren't moving fast enough! I wanted results. I wanted everyone to know we are not to be fucked with, so I did it! I killed Rafael and his goons who never belonged to us. The Kings are ruining our camp and infiltrating traitors, why wouldn't I react?" She scoffs, "Why won't you react?"

"Because I'm not going to shoot blindly at our men, hoping I'm exterminating each bug." I planned. "You're benched, Alexa and I do not want to hear anything about it. I thought leaving you the slightest space of air to do things your way would ease my burdens, but obviously you're unstable."

"I'm unstable?"

I waved my arms. "Where are we? We're facing a possible dilemma because of you."

Alexa stands up and marches over to me, facing me with her devilish blue-eye glare. "You cannot bench me. I can admit when I fuck up, but you will not pretend like I am always causing trouble."

"Alexa, you are."

She walks around the kitchen, looking at all the men. "What would Dad do if there were traitors in his camp? He'll rid anyone suspected. He'd lighten his load just to bring more in that would do his bidding."

"You're not Dad."

"No, but I understand his reasonings unlike you." She turned towards me. "I don't need your damage control, you little bitch."

"Alexa-"

She stands in front of the men and the fury dancing within her eyes killed any remorse she would have about her killings. "Our camp will remember our father's rulings and realize there is no tolerance of betrayal. You can act like a good conscience all you want, Elijah, but know that your reign will only lead to abandoned sheep." She pausing, drawing a conclusion. "You have no clue about what to do? Maybe that's why you're moving slow and not taking action. Well Dad always said 'Shoot first and ask questions later'."