Chapter 31

Penelope's POV...

I head home and Harper was sitting at the kitchen counter on her laptop. "Hey, you're home?"

I nodded my head, putting my purse on the couch. "Yeah, finally."

"Is everything OK? You left in a flash and then you didn't even call to let me know you'd be out all night. Grace was worried." She informs, arching her eyebrow.

I take a seat next to Harper, checking out what she was doing. "Alexa, Elijah's sister, called me and made me think Elijah was dying. What a cruel joke that was."

Harper snickers. "You like him, don't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Yes you do," Harper leans back. "You dropped everything, even a chance to tuck Grace in for what? Elijah?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, well I won't do it again. I mean, I don't know how I feel about Elijah." I sighed heavily and placed my forehead on the table. I was conflicted by many ways, too complicated to figure out in one sitting.

Harper grasps onto my hand. "Hey, just admit you like him. Even if it's on a mutual level and not something deep."

"I don't want to make that leap." I admit out loud. Elijah was moving too fast and I was being careful. "This isn't a forever thing. He's going to leave."

"Not if you give him reasons to stay." Harper suggests, giving me a sly smirk. "I want to talk to you about something anyway." She flips her laptop around and shows her screen. "Me and Jenn are thinking about getting a place together. With how much you're racking in, thanks to Mr. Elijah Pierce, I think this could work out."

"You're leaving?"

"Not so soon. It's not even set in stone." She grabs my hand. "We've been dating for two years and we haven't even lived together once. It's becoming serious and I'm not trying to put you out."

I suck in my lips. "Harper, you do so much for me, I can't hold you back any longer." My hand coats hers and look in her eyes. "I have enough to purchase my own place anyway."

"Right, with twenty-grand!" She chuckles. "I just know it's going to be different. I mean, late night movies, the infinite amount of sleepovers, and just the separation anxiety alone will freak me out."

I rolled my eyes. "You should do it. Get a place with Jennifer. You love her and she loves you."

"Are you just saying that because you love me?" She cries, batting her eyelashes. I regret telling her that, but it's true. I do. It took me fifteen years to tell her.

I roll my eyes, "I'm saying it because you deserve to be happy. Point blank. I know Grace will miss you."

"You'll still have a babysitter, like she'll have an aunt. I'm not abandoning you guys."

I understand. "Of course, it's not like you're moving across the country. You're going to be a phone call away."

Harper smiles, looking at her potential house. "Right. Maybe we can be next-door neighbors?"

I offer my hand. "Yeah and we can share backyards?" Harper laughs as she clamps onto my hand, shoving her shoulder into mine. "It's totally fine. I would be mad if you stayed. I'm doing the most and you deserve a life."'

"Thanks, sis." Harper turns the laptop back to me. "So what did you do last night? Sleep with him?"

I instantly get up. "I'm not having this conversation." I check the time and Grace should be coming through the door any minute. I walk to the fridge and make her an after-school sandwich.