Chapter 33

After Saturday night, I couldn't keep Penelope out of my mind. I didn't bother calling her on Sunday because I know she'd reject me once again. However, I was dying to know what happened and why she was upset. I didn't cause it, so what could've made her angry enough to shed tears?

A knock rapped against my door and I obliged access, closing my laptop and covering my expense charts. "Enter," I accept, folding my hands together.

Without expecting, she walks in a black pencil skirt that cupped her curves and a loose blue satin blouse. Her hair was pulled into a bun and she looked beautiful with minimum makeup. She wore black flats and an open beige trench coat that flew in the wind of her approaching.

"Miss Bryan," I respect, standing up to greet her.

She stretches her hand out and keeps a straight face, not showing any affection. She clears her throat, "Your summary sheets. Accounting is drudging up a file for new plans. They'll have a report by one."

I take the files from her and set them aside. I haven't seen Penelope since Saturday and her mood hasn't faltered. She seemed like a robot, with no emotion in her face and her color had been drained. Instead of seeing the natural rosy pink cheeks and a dimply grin on her face, she looked pale and dead inside. It was a rough weekend, apparently. "Thank you." I set it to the side and thought how awkward it would be to acknowledge Saturday night. My brain was burning of all the questions I had.

She nods and turns to walk away, trying to keep it professional. I couldn't watch her walk away again.

So I didn't. "Uh...Miss Bryan, would you mind looking over something?"

She turns around and holds her hands together. "I um...I should check in with construction to-"

"It's only a moment." I assure, wanting to see her longer than two seconds.

Penelope looks down and comes to my desk. "Sure, what can I help with?"

"My expense charts. You're good at math."

She sucks in her teeth and peers over my shoulder as I uncovered my charts. I was good at math too, but I wanted her here. I silently inhaled her perfume of flowers and sweetness. She puts her finger on a point. "You miscalculated a transaction. Instead of dividing, you should multiple the percentages and then subtract. It's fifth grade material." Obviously, but I needed a reasonable justification for interrupting her day.

I move my finger to hers, settling for a simple touch was enough for me. "I thought to divide and all I needed to do was...subtract."

She immediately reacted with a seductive grin, but trying to stay professional. Although she was lost in her own world of troubles, I was still able to bring subtle happiness to her. She removes her hands and rubs them on her hips. "Yeah and you should be alright."

"Thank you."

She nods, "Is there anything else you need?"

I stand up and look down on her. "Just one more thing." I grab her hand. "I know you said you didn't want to talk-"

"We don't need to talk about it." She dwindles the subject, looking down.

I lifted her chin to look at me. "Did something happen to you? Did they assault you? If they did, I will murder everyone and burn down their warehouse. You can be honest with me."

"Elijah..." She takes a second to think about it, because I was coming on too strong. However, I had all weekend to think about it. I would kill a million times over for Penelope to be straight. I wouldn't have a problem doing so. "I'm seriously fine. Please don't stress out about it." She is like a rejection queen, but sometimes it's against her own judgment. She warms up to me, playing with my tie between her fingers and looking at it. "I'd kill for a distraction, however." She seductive bats her eyelashes.