Chapter 38

Penelope's POV...

My eyes fluttered open and it was brightness. Am I in Heaven? I could hear chatter as my hearing returned in little volume and it took a while for my eyes to adjust. Once they adjusted, I could see my surroundings. A hospital room with flowers everywhere and a big flat screen in front of me with the volume set low. I couldn't move much because my body was weak and my mind was everywhere. My brain clicked on and the reboot made me sensitive to light.

I looked around and tried to make sense of what happened. My memories were shot. The last thing I remembered was being choked. I raised my hand to check my neck, which was free, but the feeling of being suffocated was still there.

"Oh, you're awake."

My eyes snap to Alexa as she sat with her legs crossed and she's leaned back in the chair, peering at the television with the remote in hand. I looked around and noticed the bright sun glowing through the curtains.

She sets the remote onto a tray and focuses on me. "How do you feel?"

"Confused," I speak weakly. I cleared my throat as it was dry and my lips were severely cracked.

Alexa hands me some water, encouraging me to drink. I take it and drink profusely. "Where's Elijah?"

Alexa widened her eyes. "Well hello to you too." She squints her eyes in disgust. She types something quickly into her phone and shuts it off.

"Where's Elijah?!" I demanded to get some answers.

"Wow, been in a coma for a while and your first question is about my brother. Figures..." Alexa looks down solemnly, but then cheers back up. "Welcome to 2050!" She chuckles, leaning back into her chair with her hands peaked in the air.

My mind immediately goes into the worse. He didn't make it after the war. I don't care how long I've been in a coma. I needed to know.

A light tap raps against the door. "Alexa, that's not funny."

He stood at the end of the door, leaning against the door frame, holding a rose bouquet to add to the collection. Elijah...

Grace pops around him, running into the room. "Mommy!"

She looked the same, the little girl with the bubbly personality that made the room even more brighter. She rushes to my bedside, cocking her head. She looked so beautiful that it brought immediate tears to my eyes. Her curly pigtails landing over her shoulder. She's a bit more taller than she was from my last memory and she had all her teeth.

Nonetheless, she still looked like my Grace.

"How was your nap, Mommy?" She wonders, innocently.

I grab her into a hug, not caring about being weak. Her scent was nostalgic and I couldn't have wished more than to see her again. She was here and in my arms. For the first time, I felt safe in Grace's arms.

Grace groans, "Mommy, you're crushing me."

I kiss her cheek and lighten up the hug. "I missed you, baby girl! I missed you so much." I kissed her again.

She pulls away, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Mommy, don't cry." She awes, rubbing my cheek. "I missed you too. Your lips are very chapped by the way. They feel like knives against my cheeks."

I chuckled, pressing my head against hers. "Silly you."

Elijah walks into the room and sits beside Alexa, letting me have a moment with my daughter. "I'm glad to see you're awake."

I look at him, holding onto Grace. "I'm glad to see you're alive too."

"I've been staying with Elijah. He's got a huge apartment and we even got a dog! Her name is Winter and she's the cutest dog ever. All my friends are jealous!" Grace updates. "He said I could keep the dog if you'd let me. Can I keep her?"