Chapter 20

Elijah's POV...

It was Sunday morning and I woke up early to make my morning jog. The winter snow was falling, but it felt good as my body was accommodating to the weather. My nose was opened and the fresh air was refreshing. The streets were busy with morning traffic and the downtown was swarming with businesses. I haven't had a chance to truly experience Columbus in the month I've been here. In the midst of things, my mind started thinking of things Penelope could show me since she knows Columbus like the back of her hand. However, it would a boundary I'm not willing to skip as we still didn't know our status.

My phone rings and it's Alexa. I answered the call, coming to a halt at a streetlight. "What?"

"An informant got us some details about a King recruiter. His name is Evan Baker, but he goes by Spaz. He's 32 years old and he drives a 2017 blue Honda Civic, fancy. He works for the Kings, but he's a lawyer during the day as his masking job." She reads her notes. "Our informant tells me that he's not harmful, so I'm thinking we get our precious little jewel to infiltrate him. I want to know his darkest secrets, damn it. He's a corrupted legal man."

The light turns red and I start jogging. I know Penelope wanted to get on the field, but I don't think it's a good idea now. I sigh, "Why don't you do it?"

Alexa scoffs, "They know me. Why would I do it? Besides, this is what we've been prepping Penelope for. She's A game."

"Ah, come up with something better."

"She's doing it. Get over it." She pauses for a second. "Where are you? Penelope just got up here."

She's at the apartment? I look at my surroundings. I'm in the heart of downtown, at least five miles from my apartment. "Look, don't talk to Penelope about it until I'm there."

"We don't need a man's approval for shit. Nah, it's still a women era, little bitch. Mwah." She kisses as she hangs up.

I angrily growl as I wanted to wring Alexa's neck. I turn around and quickly sprint towards the apartment.

...................

Penelope's POV...

I take my jacket off and looked around. "Elijah's not in?"

Alexa walks behind me with her hands in her back pockets. "No, your boyfriend's not home." She sits on the back of the couch, smirking.

I knit my eyebrows together. I was immediately on the offensive, ready to debunk any news. "No, we're not dating. We're-"

She raises her hand like Elijah, ending my thought. "Say whatever you want, but I'm not stupid. Are you guys fucking?"

"No." I squinted my eyes, folding my arms. "Did he tell you we were...or something?"

Alexa laughs to herself. "Nah, he's just weird. I mean, he comes home smelling like a woman's touch and all of a sudden, he's close-lipped."

"Why do you need to know?"

"I know everything about Elijah. Siblings stay close." She explains, shrugging her shoulders. "Besides, this woman has been really pissing me off lately." She walks to a hanged mirror and begins playing with her hair.

I unfold my arms and sit on the couch. "Oh yeah? How come? You don't even know her."

"Elijah likes to get distracted with his penis and it derails the business sometimes. He can't control his urges, but I wish he'd get his shit together."

"So this has happened multiple times on different occasions?" I asked, sort of interested to hear about Elijah's activities.

She puts more lip gloss on, rolling her eyes. "Elijah's a hoe. He's had multiple whores and I can only imagine he's swimming in disease, but who am I to say?" She turns to me, putting her lipstick in her purse. She leans down, smiling. "If I were you, which I'm glad I'm not with those dead ends," she couldn't help herself but point out a insult. "I'd steer clear of Elijah. He's bad news."