Chapter 18

Penelope's POV...

I click on my nightstand light and peeked at my alarm clock. It was four in the morning and the banging just would not stop. I peeked over and noticed Grace sleeping heavily, nothing would wake this girl. I rubbed my eyes and thought it couldn't be Harper, she was spending the night at Jennifer's. I slide from underneath her quickly to go check it out. Ugh, what the hell?

I opened the front door and rubbed the back of my neck. Through the screen door, I couldn't see very much as my eyes weren't adjusting under the darkness. "Wha-?"

Through slurred words, Elijah was sloppy drunk behind the door. His head was planted against the window and he was breathing hard. "Penelope."

"Oh my God, Elijah?" I opened the door and he stumbled into my arms as he missed his step. "What the fuck are you doing here?!" I gasped in a hushed voice.

He held onto me until he got his balance back. He reeked of alcohol and his hair was disheveled. It looked matted almost in the darkness, which is unlike him. His eyes were barely open. "I-"

"Shhh," I force my finger against his mouth. "My daughter is asleep. What are you doing here?"

"I need you."

I move his hands as they kept finding their ways around my body. "No, you need to go home. You need to sleep." I tried pushing back to the door, hoping Kenneth was outside. I prayed he didn't drive because he's beyond smashed. He's delusional.

"No, n-no, no." He sighs, "I can't go home."

"Why?"

"Alexa's probably there and I can't let her see me like this."

My shoulders bounced. "You can't stay here."

"I need--I need to--I need to tell you s-something." He stammers, wobbling back and forth.

I arched my eyebrow, "What?"

"I should've never fired you."

"You didn't fire me, I quit, remember?"

"Yeah, I know, but it sounds better. Look," he tries to get to the point but he didn't have a point. "I um...I am an idiot."

"I know."

"I need you."

"You need sleep. Is Kenneth outside?"

"Kenneth is home." Damn it, he drove or took an Uber. "I need to do something that I may not ever get the chance to do. Can I?"

"Do what?"

"Can I?" He asks, keeping his vagueness.

I sighed, "Yes, what is it?" He cups the back of my head and pulls me into his lips. I shove him off immediately. "What?"

He grabs my hands and holds me gently. "Penelope Bryan, you have been on my mind ever since you left. I don't deserve you. I don't want to go another second without telling you that I have feelings. I appreciate everything about you. From the way you walk so confidently in your heels, your hands, your aura--You light up every room."

"Elijah..."

"Tell me you don't miss me. Tell me you hate me. Tell me I'm a piece of shit and that you never want to see me again."

Why does he have to do this at four in the morning? "I can't..." I honestly admit. "I've seen the real you. I've seen how gentle you can be. I have seen how temperamental you can be, which scares me."

He cups the back of my neck and looks deep into my eyes. "Tell me that I don't deserve you."

With all that's been happening, how could I tell him that? I am just as frustrated as he is. I am just as complicated as he is. His eyes yearned for confirmation that he was a bad man, but he's not.