Chapter 14

Penelope's POV...

I thumbed Elijah's note in my hand all day, tempting to receive that five-times pay. That could solve all my financial problems. I can pay Harper off with her interest and Grace can see as much lions as she wants. I could get Harper that house she's been wanting. I can buy Grace and I a house. It's not a bad idea, as it seems more beautiful the more I think about it.

Harper comes into my bedroom, bringing in folded towels to stack in the closet. "What are you doing?"

"Thinking..." I couldn't tell Harper the plan yet, because I was conjuring up more questions in my head that weren't answered. Besides, the NDA is not only a protection for Elijah, but also for Harper. I couldn't deal with her judgment or disappointment right now. I already know how she feels about illegal businesses.

Harper chuckles, stacking the towels. "About? You got that look on your face."

"What look?"

"That look you get when you're scheming." Harper sets the basket on the floor and snatches Elijah's business card. "Whoa-"

I lunged towards her, trying to grab the card. "Hey! Give it back."

"Elijah's business card? I want to know-"

"No!" I snatch it back. "You don't know anything."

"Of course I don't, that's why I'm asking." She folds her arms. She arches her eyebrow in suspicion. "You're thinking about forgiving his sorry ass and going back to work for him?"

"No!" I sighed, before rolling my eyes. "Maybe."

She chuckles. "What's the change of heart?"

I don't even think I have a change of heart. My shoulders shrug as I couldn't find an answer.

She sits on the bed next to me. "Grace?"

"What?"

"Grace. You do everything for her. You make all your moves according to her. I can understand why you'd go back." Harper tries to make sense of it, but I can't. I wouldn't go back in a million years, but if this was the only option out of the hole for me, I would.

Elijah does have the resources I need to exonerate my record from the police. That would wipe my record clean and grant me access to other jobs. No one, but Elijah's crazy ass would hire me with a criminal record.

I sighed, "After I signed the papers, he had this proposal to work for him again, increasing my pay to five times the base. I don't know what to do, Harper." I stand up, pacing. Pacing always helps me think.

Harper scoffed, scrunching her face in discontent. "Girl, he can say whatever he wants to me if he's increasing my pay five-times. You'd be ridiculous if you don't take it!"

"My pride is too big and I'm not selling my integrity." I explain. "If I don't get another job, would I be able to pay you back and still make it work for Grace?"

Harper shrugs her shoulders. "I haven't heard much from the job applications. We don't know that yet." I hated the wait for someone's acceptance. I just wanted to get my money and get it fast. Harper grabs my shoulders, stopping me in my pace. "We will figure this out, just be patient. Did you get what you needed from Elijah? Your paycheck?"

"Oh right," I shook my head, forgetting about her money. I go to my dresser and hand her the envelope. "Here. It should cover half of my debt to you."

Harper's face gleamed up as if I handed her a grenade. She looked in the envelope and put the bands in her hands. "Pen..." I looked to her and she chortled a little. "What did you make in an hour?"