Chapter 32

"No, I was in the foster system and-"

"Which was your mother's idea, may she rest in Hell." He scoffed, shaking his head. "Please, let me explain."

"No, you're not my father. You're a drug dealer and I-"

"I understand that I'm a piece of shit, OK?" He shrugs his shoulders and moves around his desk. "I knew I was going to be a piece of shit the night you were born. How could I forget seeing your beautiful eyes open up?"

"What hospital was I born in?"

"Riverside Park, room 219, at exactly four in the morning." He details, leaning back with his arms folded. "You look just like your mother, without the horns and pointed tail coming out of your ass."

"Why...what? How-when?"

"I know it's much to process, but we need to speak about something more pressing than this."

"No, I have questions." I interrupt, folding my arms. "You've been following me through my life? You never thought to interfere? I mean, my life was Hell- I...I was destroyed and I had to do things I'm not proud of."

"Was there a chance I could have? Would you have reacted in a way that was inviting to a stranger?" He assumes. He had a point; I had hated all men and for a man to come into my life, calling himself my father, I couldn't forgive him for abandoning me. The man that Elijah is after is my father...supposedly. "I understand your reasoning behind doing what you did to survive. I mean, life is hard and you must make ends meet. Especially if you have a child."

I looked down, regretting a little about lying. "Grace is everything to me and I refuse to see her go down the same path I did. I would never wish that on her."

"Which is the same thing I wanted for you. I was a bad man, still am, but much more awoke to my flaws. Seeing how you grew up to resemble your mother, but have characteristics like me, it all clicked for me. Once I seen you converse with Elijah, accidentally being sucked into a world of hurt and pain, I had to break my vow of never meeting you."

"You know Elijah?"

"How could I not? He's a rival to my creation." He tucks his hands into his pockets. "He has threatened my operations for years, following his father's footsteps. I can't even explained my detest for his monstrous sister, Alexa Pierce." He rolls his eyes. "Penelope, I understand that you're here to turn in the head of the Kings' name, ending this façade of missions in sake of your daughter. What if I say that I can make sure that happens, but not at the expense of revealing me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You turn in Roman. You tell Elijah that he's the head of the Kings, running the operations. You do not mention me. I'm actually thinking of retiring the Kings anyway. The new generation is changing my agenda and ruining my legacy." He rolls his eyes and takes a cigar out from a brown box on the desk. He clips the end, flicks the lighter on and takes a drawl. "I have enough money to last me my final days, and if you're interested, the rest would go to you and my granddaughter."

"Grace isn't your granddaughter, just like you're not my father." I folded my arms. "Why would you turn Roman in? He will be assassinated."

"I understand that, but he's always been a scapegoat." Gabriel admits, shrugging his shoulders. "He knew that the day he decided to be my right hand man. So it's only business that he assumes my position."

"I thought he was like a son to you? You'd throw him under the bus for retirement?"

He nods his head. "Like I said, it's just business. It's always been business. He's not blood, so it's easy to separate the two." He stands up straight and circles me. "Elijah's happy by deteriorating the Kings, I'm happy in Florida, and you never have to work a day in your life. Grace is safe, you're wealthy. What's the cons to that preposition?"