Chapter 22

Penelope's POV...

The sunlight rose and it was morning. I jolt up as I didn't realize how late it was. I checked the time and it was nine in the morning. I was running late for work- Ugh, work. I had a headache from last night and it was haunting me from last night. I kept replaying the last encounter with Elijah all last night and it even crept into my dreams.

My door opens and Harper comes inside with coffee in her hands. She looked disappointed, like my foster mother when I skipped out. I didn't need a lecture when my head was pounding as if I had a hangover.

She stands at the foot of my bed. "Well good morning to you."

I rubbed my eyes. "Hey."

"Where did you go last night?" She cuts right to her point.

I lean back and hold my arms. "It was work."

"Work?"

"Yes." I sigh, holding my head. "I got to wake up Grace."

"Don't bother; I already did." Her voice was cold and frank, which annoyed me. I need to get out of here. "I heard you come in, slamming the door behind you. Are you hungover?"

"No, but I do need a drink."

"What were you doing out late?"

"Harp, I know you care so deeply about me, but you don't need to worry about it."

"Were you in somebody's bed?"

I roll my eyes and get out of bed. "Harper, no."

"Well nothing's open at three in the morning, but freaking legs. So..." She bounces her shoulders. "Why can't you be honest?"

"It's none of your business." I go into the bathroom and grab my tissue.

Harper keeps pressing. "You're not playing 'escort', are you? Just tell me."

"Harper, I'm not going to admit to something I'm not doing, OK?" I needed space. "I had a long night and Elijah needed me for-"

"I doubt Elijah wanted you to work until three in the morning."

I grab her shoulders, because she needed reassurance. "Harper, I'm not lying when I say I've been working for Elijah until three in the morning. He's been on my case about making sure I'm getting shit done. I'm tired and I need time."

"It's just weird that it's-"

"You can think what you want, but I'm going to get ready for work. I already missed my ride to work, so I need to take the train." I finish brushing my teeth and grab some clothes. "Harper, I promised I wouldn't escort anymore. I have an actual job and I'm just making ends meet for Grace and me. I appreciate your concern and the roof you're providing for us. Just let it go."

Harper's eyes narrow and she's trying to read my facial expression. She folds her arms and continues examining me as if I'm suspicious.

"Is that for me?" I try to grab it, but Harper presses the cup to her lips.

She shrugs her shoulders. "Get up on time next time." She walks away, pissed that she has no choice but to let it go. As much as I want to tell her, this stupid NDA is hovering over my damn head. Besides, I can't admit that I lied about being in someone's bed.

I didn't want to go to work, to see Elijah after his tantrum yesterday, but I needed to leave this house. I couldn't have Harper sniffing around my shit and finding its contents.

I left and found a manila envelope addressed to me. I arched my eyebrow and looked inside as the items inside were thick. It was bands of money. I looked around to see if anyone was witnessing me collect it. Elijah fulfilled his promise and I think I'm holding at least twenty-thousand dollars. Damn, that was quick.