Chapter 7

The next train to downtown wasn't until ten, so I was running late. I couldn't walk fast enough in Harper's five-inch heels, but I dressed the best I could. I've watched enough shows to know what to wear. I put my hair into a low ponytail and let my curls fly. I couldn't stop smiling at the fact that I was working in the same building as Harper, and it wasn't a crummy job like a janitor's.

The lobby was busy with the same people I saw yesterday and this time, I was less nervous. I pulled Harper's dress skirt down to my knees, uncomfortable that it kept riding up. I would need to go shopping quick, but I would need the funds. Luckily, I have five-hundred swimming in my bank account for dinner and shopping spree. Thank you, stranger.

I immediately head to the elevators and stood behind three tall guys in their neat suits. Penelope, get ready for the time of your life. No more breaking your back for a buck. It's easy sailing from here on out. Just you wait, I think to myself as the elevator climbed the floors.

After waiting five minutes, I finally reached the thirty-ninth floor. It was crawling with a couple of people. The sun was peaking through the thick clouds and greeting me as I walked down the hallways. "Good morning," I greeted anyone I walked past. I needed to meet with Elijah to get my assignments, fully understand the job I was set to do and the main question: What was I getting paid?

I opened the door to his office and there were two men standing in front of Elijah, as he was sitting in his chair. I grumbled with annoyance that I barged in without common sense.

All eyes shot to me. If they were bullets, I would be dead. Awkward, I wanted to shut the door, but the handle was out of my possession.

"Hello?" A man with a receding hairline and a boring grey suit questions. He looks to Elijah and Elijah sits up like an alert dog.

I sighed, feeling out of place again.

Elijah stands up and rounds his corner. He looked disappointed, but saves face for his guests. "Gentlemen, this is Penelope Bryan," he introduces, grabbing the door. "She will be my assistant going forth with this project."

Both men look at each other and then back at me.

Awkwardly, I peep. "Um...hello, good morning." I bowed my head as if they're royalty. My flight or fight mode was glitching and my mind was indecisive. Nice, Penelope, nice. "Apologies for the barge-in," I address, in the best of my ability to seem educated. "I had no clue--idea! About a meeting." I stumbled over my words, not knowing how to converse well enough to get by.

"No, you're absolutely fine, Miss Bryan." One man excludes. "Happens to the best of us."

Elijah whispers in my ear. "Sit down."

I scratched the back of my head and seen the couch, immediately going.

Elijah claps his hands, chuckling like a robot. "Well, I appreciate the consideration of the endorsement and shall speak with my adviser about potential leads. You do understand I must exhaust all my options and offers, correct?"

"As you should," the receding hairline man turns to Elijah as he takes back the spotlight. "The offer stands as we can get behind this kind of message for the public. It's a true remarkable plan."

"Indeed." Elijah's deep voice rumbles as he sits down on his throne.

The other man, who showed no other special features, but a bald head and a huge stomach bid his adieu and tapped his colleague on his arm. They both left the room, closing the door behind him.

Elijah sighs, rubbing his forehead.

I nervously wrung my hands, shaming myself for my stupid mistake. "I'm sorry for barging in like that. I'm just excited-"