Deep in the Closet

A/N: This story takes place about a year after the events of Spies are Forever.

"Mom!" Curt shouted down the stairs. "What is it Curtis?" She yelled back.

He was about to answer when he heard a small scream coming from where his mom was. He ran downstairs, his hand resting on his gun in his back pocket.

"Curtis! Can you get a bucket of water? This-This is on fire!" He ran to get a bucket of water in alarm. He tossed the water onto the flaming food, splashing his mom slightly. The water mostly doused the flames. The bacon on the pan was completely black and fried to a crisp. He didn't think it was edible anymore.

"So Curtis, What were you going to tell me?" He threw his head back in exhaustion. "Mom, did you not watch the bacon? I told you you can't just leave food here to cook." She slapped him on the arm with the rag she had in her hand. "I know what I'm doing. What were you going to say?"

He sighed. "Tatiana is coming over this morning to talk about a new mission. And you know, we don't really want to be bothered—"

She cut him off. "Don't worry son, I get it." She winked and walked away, leaving the burnt bacon on the pan.

Curt rubbed his temples. Lately his mom had been pressuring him to get a girlfriend, and Tatiana was her top choice. She would constantly try and get them together and leave them alone in remote places.

He appreciated that she was trying to help him, but he didn't have the courage to tell her that he was gay. If any of his superiors knew that he was gay, he could easily be fired, or worse, killed. Being gay in the early 1960's was not something that was accepted, and since he worked for the government, that was even more forbidden.

He also didn't want to break her heart. She always gushed about how she couldn't wait until he got married and gave her grandchildren. Those conversations always made him uncomfortable, but it was a topic she loved discussing. Maybe she thought if she talked about it over and over it might actually happen.

There was a brisk knock on the door and he strode over and opened it. Tatiana stood there, a small briefcase in one hand and a coffee tray in the other. "Hey Tatiana. Come on in."

He stepped aside.

"Hello Curt. Hi Mrs. Mega." She nodded towards his mom, who was staring at them from across the room.

"Hello to you too, Tati. Why don't you two go up to Curtis's room and discuss whatever you two kids need to. I won't interrupt. I'll just be out here listening to the radio." She winked again, and it was very obvious. Tatiana looked at him weirdly.

"Yeah, you know what, let's go up to my room. I'll take that briefcase for you." She handed him the briefcase and they walked upstairs together.

"Jeez, this thing's heavy. What's in it?"

"Just a bunch of mission files and pieces of evidence. It's not that heavy." She said in her thick Russian accent.

"Right, totally not heavy." He muttered. They walked into his room, which he'd cleaned in order to look somewhat presentable. He set the briefcase down on his bed.

"Ok, what's the new mission?" He asked. Tatiana sat next to him, the coffee tray between them. He took one of the coffees without hesitation.

"There's multiple things on the agenda. The mission, of course, and.. a few other things."

"What other things?"

"Your mother."

"Oh, I'm sorry she keeps acting like that—"