Chapter 12 - I Can't Trust My Own Mind

Disclaimer! The argument in this chapter will reference many of the lyrics of this song. I don't remember what you call that, but it fits into the plot really well. Enjoy!

Reader POV

I was on my knees. Blood covered me head to toe. I had ringing in my ears, everything around me was muffled. I heard the slight noise of a chopper in the distance. SHADOW Midas had gotten away, leaving me here with the GHOST agents. I was going to die. They knew what I had become, I was to dangerous to be kept alive. My only hope was Midas, maybe. He might be the one wanting me dead.

I stared at my friend who layed there, a hole through her head. Her eyes were still open, souless and dark. To think that I killed her, what about anyone else. I only remembered some of my kills. When I was sent on missions, I wouldn't remember anything. After I shot her, everything just came back to me. I remembered. The pain, the suffering, the pleasure, the jealousy, the fact that I wanted to run away as far as I possibly could from everything. My home on earth wasn't home. I thought this place was, but I knew I was wrong.

"What have I done?" I sobbed quietly. I was brought back to reality when a cold hand touched my shoulder.

Skye stood up a shocked look on her face. Brutus had his hand over his shoulder. He gave Midas a nod and headed downstairs with Skye, who had started to cry. I didn't move, there was no point. I waited for him to pull me up and shoot me. He didn't.

He squeezed me shoulder a bit and pulled me up gently. He faced me towards his chest and wrapped me in his arms. I didn't resist, it felt right. After everything that had happened, it felt good being back on the right side. I hugged him back sobbing into his chest. He pet my head slowly, not minding my tears and blood that stained his suit.

"Shhh... Darling. I know." He said softly.

"I know..." He repeated a little more broken the next time. I lifted my head a bit, he sighed.

"Let's go inside." He said, slight shakiness in his voice. I nodded my head, as we made our way back inside.

He led me to back to a room I remembered, it was mine. He opened the large wooden door slowly, and guided me in. I sat on the end of the bed, a blank stare on my face. He looked at me sadly. I couldn't tell if there was any forgiveness in his eyes. How could he forgive me? I had killed one of his best agents, at the same time my best friend. I tried not to sob, but the facet to my eyes was stuck. Tears streamed down my face and neck. My hands were drenched in the salty liquid. Midas had walked up to me. He lifted my chin gently, making eye contact.

"I'm going to go for a bit darling. I will be back to make you more comfortable. Are you ok for now until I get back?" He asked softly. I nodded quietly in response, he gave a slight nod. Before he had the chance to turn around, I wrapped him in a hug crying again. He rubbed my back slowly, placing his head on my.

"Sh, darling you're alright. I'm here now, I'm not letting go." He cooed, holding my fragile body in his arms. He removed one of his hands from my back and pressed a button on his earpiece.

"I'm taking the rest of the day off. Send the agents to there posts. As for some of you take care of the order at hand." He said sternly. My sobs became a bit quieter. I looked up at him, my eyes glazed from the tears shed. He lifted me up and brought me over to the top of the bed. He placed me down gently. I moved over allowing him to lay beside me. I curled up next to him, my breathing slowing down from all the hiccups. He played with my hair slowly, calming me.

I was beginning to become tired. A small yawn escaped from my lips. I rested my head closer to his chest and listened to his steady heartbeat.

"M?" I said, close to becoming unconscious.