DIECIOCHO

18 // TRAUMA NEVER DIES = EL TRAUMA NUNCA MUERE

Farah loves tattoos, yet she has none.

she doesn't like ones with no meaning or ones that radiate mock and distaste. no, she likes the ones with meaning, with something to tell the world, one with a story or a memory. it could be a quote that saved someone's life, a loved ones name, an idol they adore or a flower that means kindness.

something permanent.

Farah likes the idea of making something temporary, permanent.

sure, she's imagined one on her wrists, her fingers or the back of her neck. sometimes, when she lounges in bed in the morning, her finger traces along her wrist and wonders what it would be like. she can tolerate the pain but what if she doesn't like it? what if her perfectionist self decides to one day hate it? yes, she has ideas but has never chosen to act on them.

her heart feels like it keeps being cradled then punched, but with spontaneous and homelike affection when she spends more and more time with Taehyung. Spain has brought out another side to him and her. today he isn't wearing a shirt, he's wearing one without sleeves and it reveals his toned, upper arms. the surprise came to her like the similar feeling on a roller coaster.

on Taehyung's upper arm, a tattoo lies. not just any tattoo either, it's one etched with the black words Remember. their word. their purposes.

Farah's eyes are so wide. "holy shit." her words sit in the echo of the room. "you got a tattoo of our book?"

Taehyung scrunches his nose, standing in his hotel room with an innocent look on his face. he stops polishing their award with a toilet tissue before looking down at his arm, unbothered. "it's more than just our book title you know." he points, eyes blinking.

he seems so remote and calm but his heart is beating frantically against his chest. he's been waiting for this moment. for her to notice. her reactions are remarkable and he'd be lying if he said he didn't love them. he wants Farah to know he's been driving himself crazy thinking about her all these years, that her words still resound in the grim caves of his soul everyday.

"but yeah, do you like it?" Taehyung inquires, no longer cleaning.

"i- i love it." Farah breathes out. she's still staring at the tattoo. black lines, curved and straight too. it looks so random on his blank, skin canvas. the calligraphy of the word holds so much meaning. to others, it could be a reminder. remember to love, remember to be kind or remember the memories. although it works with all of those, it's another word for their love and when they used to say i remember you, i live to remember you, it was like saying, i live for you. your existence is my purpose and i know it's not a good thing but it's true.

"can i get a matching one?" Farah laughs, easing the tension.

it's Taehyung's turn to be surprised now. is she joking or being serious? "you want one to match with me?" he repeats, questioning whether or not he's hearing her correctly.

the thought of having matching tatttoos makes him squirm but also sends a shiver down his spine. the heat suddenly doesn't make a difference. for the love of his life to have something that connects them, not just their souls but their bodies? he's fucking mind blown and he wants to kiss her again.

"isn't that what i just said?"

"don't act cocky." Taehyung smiles a slow smile as his eyes divert away. "do you want to touch it?" he questions, his voice growing quiet.

"it's just so cool." Farah blinks, eyes completely hypnotised by what she's looking at. the dark ferocity of the word demanding its attention paired with Taehyung's stare is overwhelming. she steps closer and lifts her stinging hand fearfully. the fear of the feeling that arrives when she touches Taehyung's arm is one she saw coming. it's electrifying and warm.