In The Night

The following morning had proven difficult for Amelia who was working her way through a sea of patients. The doctor had called in sick and she was all that was left to cope. Jane had tried her hardest to keep Amelia going by supplying her with tea but it was proving fruitless. Amelia was drained before it was even lunch time.

After finishing up her latest patient and filling in her notes she heard a loud knock at her door. Sighing heavily at the prospect of another patient she put her pen down. All Amelia wanted was a break so she could collect her thoughts.

"Come in" she called.

The sight of Tommy Shelby walking into her small office was a welcome one. Amelia instantly felt her body charge with electricity. Without a word he closed the door and sat at her desk, he looked at her as he took his cap off and placed it on her desk.

"Just you in today?" he asked as he eyed the piles of folders on her desk.

Amelia sighed and leaned back into her chair, trying not to let the exhaustion take over.

"Yes, the doctors off sick"

Tommy nodded as he watched her. Even when she was stressed she was perfect, delicate, like a bright red rose in the middle of ice. As his eyes scanned over her he wondered how she was healing, if she was in any pain but knew that she would downplay any questions he had.

Tommy didn't know how to be normal around her and he hated it. Everytime he felt his tongue move in his mouth he had to bite down, afraid that his brain wasn't going to do it justice.

"What are you doing here?" she asked before picking up her pen and twirling it in her delicate fingers. Today her long hair was down and straight, it resting down her back. Everything about her intrigued him, her style, her grace, her anger.

Ignoring her question he said "I'll be back for you at 6:00pm" and he stood up, grabbing his hat and putting it on his head. The glint or his razor reminding Amelia of the dangers of being in his presence.

"Where are we going?" she inquired, butterflies fighting in her stomach.

"You'll see" and he smirked before leaving her to carry on. Amelia was pretty certain that Tommy had just 'asked' her out on a date in his own way. It made Amelia smirk at the thought of Tommy struggling to ask her out, he was a proud man and one that was used to getting his own way. The possible rejection from her was enough to keep him on his toes.

---

The boost from Tommy's appearance helped her power through her day and before she realised it was time to go. Jane was staying behind, more than likely to be nosy as Amelia left to find Tommy waiting outside the door with his car. Tommy grabbed her bag and placed it on the back seat and opened her door.

Amelia smiled a little as she got into the car. Before she could turn to watch him get in she saw a bottle of champagne in the foot well and she laughed. It was the drink they had shared the day of the races.

"I'm assuming there is no glasses for the champagne?"

Tommy smirked as he pulled off "We don't need glasses" and Amelia rolled her eyes playfully. It was complete darkness out, the cold air still biting at Amelia's face.

"Where are we going?" she asked hoping that she wouldn't be under dressed. Amelia liked to plan, liked to know where she was going and for how long. It was a part of her personality that she hated, it made her anxious.

"We're going to see Winnie" And Amelia's eye's soon lit up, it was the horse that he bartered for at the day of the races. The beautiful white horse that stood so gracefully in front of them.