CHAPTER 19: Maybe It Is

Hope knew, from the very start, that she hadn't fully healed her broken heart. She was still broken, in pieces and yet... she went ahead to try and fix everyone else.

All but herself.

Her constant need and want to fix others became a toxic habit, she couldn't let it go. She would give all the broken pieces of her heart just to help someone else. With Jaime, with Evan... the difference was that this time, with Evan, she gathered the courage to acknowledge the fact that she wasn't okay.

She wasn't fine, she didn't feel whole, she wanted to be the person she was before. No, she wanted to become a better person. Not for anyone but, for herself.

This time, she would fix herself, pick up the broken pieces of her heart and piece them once again.

Hope made up her mind and made a decision. To others, it might seem selfish of her, to do what she was about to do without telling the people around her but she knew she had to do it.

She glanced around her apartment, reminiscing the memories she had within its walls. All the moments she cried, smiled, laughed, and even felt kilig, she remembered as she took the time to take in her home.

Hope thought for a moment before she messaged Kai, 'Can we meetup?'

'Yeah, ofc, when and where?' - Kai replied after a few seconds.

She messaged him the details, asking to meet in 30 minutes since he was available for the day.

Hope thought of Evan for a moment, she didn't want to face him. She didn't have the heart to say goodbye straight to his face so, before she prepared for her meetup with Kai, she sat down in front of her desk and wrote a letter for Evan,

Thirty minutes passed by fast and soon, Kai and Hope met up.

They had a snack and talked for a moment before Kai smiled at Hope in question, "Why'd you want to meet up?"

"Does there have to be a reason for us to meet up?" Hope asked back with a sly smile as she took a sip of her drink.

Kai shook his head in helplessness as he grinned at her, "There's a reason why you wanted to meet up, I have a feeling. So why? Is something wrong?"

Kai's eyebrows furrowed in concern at the thought of Hope having a problem, whatever kind it was.

"No, no, there's nothing wrong," Hope laughed, "I just wanted to say thank you. For everything."

There was a moment of silence as Kai looked at Hope with seriousness, trying to analyze her behaviour, "Why does that sound like a goodbye?"

Hope gave him a half-hearted smile, "Maybe it is."

"Hey," Kai stood up and went to sit beside her, "what's the matter?"

"It's something I need to do."

Hope let out a gasp of surprise when Kai gave her a tight hug, "I understand, take your time, okay? I'll always be here, contact me, ha!"

A chuckle escaped Hope's lips as she hugged him back, "Of course! We'll keep in contact... Thanks Kai."

Kai let go of Hope, he had both his hands on her arms as he pushed her slightly back to get a good look at her.

"Promise me we'll stay in touch."

Hope burst out in laughter at the childish look Kai kept giving her, complete with the pout and all, "I promise, I promise!"

In a hurry, for she almost forgot about it, Hope got the letter she made from her bag and handed it to Kai, "Uh, I know this might be too much to ask but, can you give this to Evan? In a couple days or so, is that okay?"

He stared at the letter for a moment and looked at Hope with a small smile, "Okay, it's no problem."

After their little meal, Kai escorted Hope to her car after they were done eating, "Bye Kai, I'll see you when I see you."

He gently grabbed her wrist before she got inside her car, "I like you, you know that right?"

A meek smile tugged Hope's lips, "Kai..."

A warm embrace engulfed Hope as she let out a sigh, she didn't know what to say.

"You don't need to say anything, Hope. It's okay if you don't feel the same way, I know you're going through a lot. Just... be happy, okay? Do what you have to do."

Tears of gratitude began to sting Hope's eyes as Kai gave her forehead a soft kiss, "I'll be here if you need me."

"I want you to be happy too, Kai. Thank you."

They parted ways and Hope soon contacted her friends, asking them to hangout with her at her place.

Her best friends arrived at her apartment an hour or so later, bringing snacks with them. As it was a Saturday afternoon, they lazed around a little and enjoyed each other's company.

Hope's apartment was filled with laughter, squeals, and shrieks of joy. She looked at her five friends, observing them when they weren't looking. She would miss the noise, the banter, the chaos...

I'll miss these idiots.

Later that night, she contacted her parents to inform them about her decision. They were supportive of her for they knew it was something their daughter needed.

"Honey, we've arranged everything for you, okay? Clarisse will manage the main branch for the time being. Have you packed everything?" Hope's mom asked and she could hear her dad calling out multiple "we'll see you off, 'nak" from the background.

"Yes, mom, I'm all set," Hope looked at her luggage, "The flight's tomorrow morning, right?"