CHAPTER 4: Charming Bastard

Hope contemplated for seconds, for minutes, for hours, and even for days whether or not she should continue with her plan. She contemplated for so long because for the plan to succeed, she needed to contact Evan for help.

Rose has been with her through thick and thin, she witnessed Hope break down and be vulnerable. Hope wanted to do at least this for Rose, after all that she's done for her.

Hope made up her mind, gathered her courage, and took a long, deep breath. She looked for Evan in her contacts and closed her eyes for a moment or two before pressing the call button. After the 4th ring, Evan picked up his phone.

"Hey Evan! This is Evan, right?" Hope's heart pounded against her chest, she felt the speed of her heart going through the roof! Why did she feel so nervous?

"Hope?"

"Yep, hi, I'm surprised you didn't forget."

"Of course I didn't, why did you call by the way?"

"About that," Hope began, "I'm calling for... a favor, I guess? Yes, okay, you can call it that. It's a favor."

"What is it? Do you have any events up for us? Let me just check our sche-" Evan would have continued if he didn't get cut off by Hope.

"It's not an event or anything, sorry. It's for something else, a favor."

Evan couldn't help but snicker at the way Hope rambled on, "Enlighten me."

"Do you remember Rose? My friend who talked to Adrian?"

Evan took a moment or two before replying, "Oh yeah, Rose, what about her?"

"You see, she kind of likes Adrian so I wanted to set the two up for a date. Play cupid, matchmake the two, you know? The only connection I have to him is you."

Momentary silence filled the air, the silence making Hope wonder whether or not she's lost Evan midway through her explanation.

Evan took his sweet time processing the information, he imagined Adrian dating and he let out a boisterous laugh.

"You're laughing," Hope groaned, "This was a bad idea right?"

"No, no, I'm not laughing at you. I've never imagined Adrian dating, he's never had a girlfriend before. I'll help you out, he is my best friend after all."

Hope cheered in mirth, her plan could finally take place, "Is Friday good for the both of you?"

"This Friday, is 10:30 am good?"

"Yep, we're fine with that," Hope's smile could be heard through the phone, making Evan unconsciously beam as well.

"See you on Friday then, Hope."

"See you on Friday," Hope softly responded and ended the call soon after.

Hope felt ecstatic because her plan to set Rose and Adrian up had progress but she knew a part of her was thrilled because she got to talk to Evan

Charming bastard.

Friday came two days after the call. Nobody knew Hope's plan to set Rose and Adrian up except for Evan and a part of her was nervous and excited to see him.

She called Rose and it took the woman quite a long time to answer the phone.

"What do you want?" Rose groggily asked, it was only 8 in the morning!

"Rise and shine, woman! We're going somewhere today."

"Where?"

"It's a surprise, you'll see," Hope explained with a hint of mischief in her voice.

"Fine," Rose sighed, "I'll be at your place in an hour."

Hope prepared herself for the brunch meet-up for Adrian and Hope. Hope dressed up with a light blue tank top and black ripped jeans. She put her contacts on and put some light make-up. A little later, the doorbell to her apartment rang. She knew that Rose was already there at her apartment's lobby, her presence seen in the little monitoring screen each apartment unit had. Rose entered the apartment and headed straight to Hope's bedroom.

"Why are you putting make-up on? You never put makeup on, unless it's a special event," Rose asked, a hint of suspicion tinged her tone.

Hope observed Rose's outfit and silently approved; she wore a white tank top paired with a cute pair of navy blue shorts. Her look finished with a touch of light makeup.

"Well, you have make up on so why can't I?"

"I always have make up on! You wear makeup only occasionally so what's up, huh? Are we meeting with your Mr. Vocalist today?" Rose raised her eyebrows, expectant of an honest reply from her.

Hope smirked at her, "You'll see and please don't be like Ava. His name's Evan."

"Ah, so we're meeting him and you're making me tag along to be your third wheel, huh?"

"As I said, you'll see," Hope repeated just as she finished doing her makeup, "Okay, okay, let's go!"

Hope and Evan agreed to have the meet-up at Daffodillery, a cafe near both parties. Hope and Rose arrived at exactly 10:30 am and the former spotted Evan and Adrian already seated inside.

"Thank me later," Hope whispered to Rose.

Rose looked at Hope, confusion apparent within her eyes. The confusion soon vanished as she saw Adrian and Evan seated in the booth they were fast approaching.

"What are they doing here?" Rose asked in a voice filled with bafflement.

Hope laughed and winked at Rose, "As I've said, you'll thank me later."

Evan was the first to notice the two women approaching, he waved at them which signalled the arrival of the company for Adrian. Adrian's eyes widened for a moment, he did not expect to see Rose so soon; he glanced at Evan then his eyes wandered back to Rose.

The two women sat down and Hope greeted the guys first, "Hey Adrian!"

Adrian smiled, gaining back his senses, and greeted, "Hi Hope, nice to see you again."

Hope grinned at Adrian before focusing her eyes on the man beside him, "Evan."

"Hey," he greeted as they shared a knowing look with each other.

Hope elbowed the dumbfounded Rose to bring her back to Earth. Rose snapped out of it and gave a smile to the guys in front of them, she first greeted Evan before her gaze settled on Adrian.

"Hi, how have you been?" Rose was back to her seemingly cool and nonchalant self, although Hope knew her friend wanted to scream and squeal if only could.

Adrian smirked, "I've been good, you? You didn't miss me too much, did you?"

Rose scoffed as Adrian guffawed at her reaction; the two started talking as though they've known each other for so long. It was as though they've forgotten that they came to the cafe with their friends. Thus, the love story of Rose and Adrian began; brought together by two souls who wouldn't always get the right timing.