Alluring Views (Chapter 34)

Reaching behind Marlow's seat, Piero pulled out two baseball hats, each bearing a small Italian emblem.

"Driving a convertible is the only way to experience the beauty of this part of Italy," he remarked. "Top down, the wind blowing your hair, free from an enclosed car's restrictive glass and metal shell."

Handing one over to Marlow and placing the second one on his head, he checked himself out in the side mirror.

"What?" he asked when Marlow laughed.

"You look—" blushing and dropping her eyes— "very sexy right now."

"I'm glad you think so. Are you ready?"

"Let's go!"

Piero had been correct; driving a convertible was the only way to immerse oneself in the Italian countryside. Travelling through the multiple darkened tunnels, each break into the bright sunshine revealed a myriad of colours and scents. Turning onto a narrow two-way road flanked by a towering forest, Marlow inhaled deeply. The sun still felt warm on her face and arms, while the breeze off the trees carried a familiar and comforting scent of earth and wood. Passing by vibrant buildings offering sustenance or a place to rest for weary travellers, none were the generic earth-tone colours of back home. Instead, they were splashes of yellow, pink, orange, or red made even brighter by a cloudless blue sky.

"That is Lake Garda. It is the largest lake in Italy," Piero explained, pointing to a break in the trees that gave a tease of blue.

Dropping from the forest down to drive along the shoreline, the pale blue water and woodsy breeze of moments ago transformed into a brilliant blue as far as the eye could see.

"Wow!"

Continuing past the historic-looking villas, Marlow's spirit felt renewed, and gratitude filled her soul. Life had been difficult for her, but it had brought her to meet the man she cared about now.

"I don't know where we're going, but my breath has been taken away so many times, and my mind is constantly guessing what amazing thing is coming next. I'm feeling so many emotions..." Marlow's voice caught in her throat as tears of great joy welled up.

"That is exactly what I hoped you'd feel," Piero said, tweaking her cheek.

***

"Where are we?" Marlow asked, stepping out of the car and stretching.

"This is Lago di Tenno. I brought you here because it's a hidden gem."

Walking with her down the rocky path to the shoreline, then dropping out of the trees and into the open, he waited to see if she would recognize the location.

"I've seen this place before," she said, smiling and removing her sunglasses. "You guys did a video here with three girls, and at the end, you all let lanterns go into the night sky."

Chuckling, Piero hugged Marlow.

"You're right. Funny story, none of us knew this place existed until we came here to film."

Continuing along the shore, the two stopped to sit on a large boulder. Draping her arm over Piero's shoulder and resting her head next to his, she smiled as they watched the 'Per ci ti Saro' video. Though filmed during a different season, and the water level was much lower, making the island accessible from shore, Marlow still recognized the familiar line of rocks and island jutting into the turquoise lake.

"Shall we go for a walk?" Piero asked, putting his phone away.

"Yes."

Much more crowded than when Il Volo filmed the video, the two stopped where the land bridge to the island would have been. Tugging on his forearm, Marlow pulled Piero to a grove of trees.

"Come with me." Backing him up against a tree, she coyly smiled and said,

"If I had been your love interest in this video, I would have enjoyed kissing you behind the hat."

"Well, now's your chance."

Licking his lips and slipping his hands around her waist, he laughed when Marlow took off his hat and held it up to hide their faces. Never actually kissing the girl in the video, he let Marlow know he was kissing her. Dropping his hat to the ground, she reciprocated with a similar passion.

Time and motion slowed, and Marlow wished it had included her racing heartbeat. While distance had kept them apart for two and a half months, her connection to him had exploded beyond anything she had experienced before, and there was no mistaking he felt the same. Certain he was going to say that he loved her, a prickling of nerves from her insecurities reared its ugly head, and she shook her head to make them disappear. She was not going to have their special day spoiled by her fears.

***

Continuing back south through the city of Verona, on their way to Bologna, Piero made a stop at the 'Casa di Giulietta.' Love was a palpable feeling that floated in the air and shone on the faces of people walking by. Strolling along the cobbled streets, holding the hand of the man she was falling in love with, Marlow fell under the enchantment of Shakespeare's love story. Where Milan captured Marlow's soul, Verona settled itself in her heart.

"I love the oldness of Italy."

"What do you mean, oldness?" Piero asked.

"I mean, like the history that is here. Canada is just a baby compared to Italy." Your country's history is what... like a couple thousand years old?"

"Something like that," Piero said, snickering.

"I know my comments sound stupid, but I have never travelled anywhere, and this is all so amazing."

"Your comments are not stupid, and your enthusiasm is so contagious it has helped me to see things about my home that I took for granted."

Making their way back to the car, looking hopeful, Marlow asked, "Do we have to leave? Couldn't we just stay here?" Recognizing in the lines on his forehead that he didn't want to disappoint her but understanding that plans had already changed because of her lost luggage, she quickly added, "It's OK if we can't."

"We need to save Verona for another trip?"

Sliding into the front seat, Marlow responded, "Sure. I get it. This trip is just a teaser to make me want to return, isn't it?"

Laughing, Piero only grinned.

"OK then, please take me to my next fabulous destination."