Eyes Don't Lie (Chapter 45)

Texting Piero as she walked and asking him where exactly he was, Marlow spotted Aubrey playing volleyball with several other people. Calling out her name, she waved when Aubrey turned around and started to run up to meet her.

"Where's Francesco? Did you two get our contribution to the picnic?"

"He forgot to get something for you, so he went back to get it," Marlow said, setting her bags on a blanket.

"Awe, I love that man. He is so thoughtful."

"Where did Piero get to?" Marlow asked, not seeing him anywhere.

"He went in search of some bagged ice from a freezer beside the café down the beach." Beaming at Marlow, Aubrey invited, "Do you want to come play? You can be on my team?"

"No. Thanks, though. I think I'm going to go find Piero."

"If you don't find him, just come back and join us," Aubrey hollered.

Passing the outdoor patio and no longer blocked from her view by the large colourful umbrellas shading the patrons from the sun, Marlow spotted Piero, and he was not alone. Consumed with indescribable hurt, a 14-year-old Marlow turned on her heels and ran away. Spotting a familiar landmark through tear-blurred eyes, she headed for the crosswalk. Yanked back and spun around as a horn blasted past her, Marlow found herself facing Franz.

"What are you doing? That car almost hit you."

"I, I..."

"What's going on?"

Swiping both hands across her cheeks, Marlow stuffed her emotions down.

"I don't want to be here."

"Why? What's happened?"

With her words caught in her tight throat, Marlow only shook her head.

"Come with me," Franz said, protectively cradling an arm around her shoulder. Sitting beside Marlow, Francesco swiped his thumb over Marlow's wet cheek. "Do you want to tell me what's upset you so much?"

Jerking her head back, new tears replaced the ones he wiped away.

"When you left, Aubrey told me where I could find Piero. When I came around the corner of the cafe... he was with Giulia, and they were making out."

Sighing heavily, Francesco shook his head and asked, "Did he see you?"

"I think so. He looked my way, but I didn't stick around to find out. Normally, I wouldn't care..." Staring at the cobblestones on the street, Marlow let it out, "But, last night, I finally told him I loved him and..."

Holding Marlow's chin so she could not drop her head further, Francesco tried to speak. "Marlow..."

"You don't get it," she said, pulling her chin back. "I slept with him, and now I feel like a complete fool."

Francesco's concern was evident as he struggled to console her. His furrowed brow mirroring Marlow's distress, as the weight of her revelation hung heavy in the air.

"There must be an explanation," he said. "I am positive he would have said to me if it was true."

Not intentionally planning to turn on Francesco, she snapped, "Well, maybe you don't know everything. Maybe you're not as close as you think you are."

Not taking offence at Marlow's harsh tone, Francesco continued to explain.

"I promise you, Piero and Giulia are not getting back together. Trust me, Marlow, I can't say for sure that what you saw was what you think it was..." Seeing Marlow sit taller and stare at him with narrowed eyes and a tightened jaw, he spoke cautiously, "But I know my brother. He would never intentionally hurt someone for personal gain. He is sincere, and when he says something, you can trust that it is the truth. Has he said anything to you?"