The Secrets of Milan (Chapter 48)

It was her last full day in Italy. Thinking long into the night, she promised herself, and ultimately to Piero, that she would deal with her demons. No one deserved to be cheated out of love, and unless she wanted to remain single forever, which she didn't want, there would be no more trying to navigate her challenges alone. She needed to seek professional help. Despite feeling somewhat subdued, she resolved to find moments of joy today.

Told last night about the rooftop patio, Marlow quietly got dressed. Climbing the three flights up to the hotel's rooftop, she emerged into a glorious Milan morning.

"Buongiorno," she said, smiling at those who looked up from their coffees. Finding an unoccupied corner of the patio, she tilted her face toward the sky and listened to the birds warbling only for her. Though her stay in Italy was short, her love for this country, its people, heritage, and natural splendour had deepened considerably. Standing on her tiptoes and gazing over the edge, she knew the cobbled sidewalks trailing behind other buildings would lead to quaint cafes, flower shops, and delis. As the sun warmed her spirit, breathing in the cool air, positive memories flooded her thoughts. This was precisely what she needed. Certain that, in time, she would remember this trip with gratitude for the many moments it had given her, Marlow bid a silent goodbye to Milan and returned to her room.

"I was about to text and find out where you were," Aubrey said, tossing her phone onto the bed.

"I was on the rooftop patio enjoying the sunrise."

"Well, the day is getting away from us, and I have so much planned, so leave your purse here, throw your wallet and phone in your backpack, and let's go."

"Where are we going first?"

"Can't tell you. It's a surprise."

Rolling her eyes, Marlow sighed. What was it about people in Italy always making everything a surprise?"

Familiar with the city, Aubrey left the more tourist spots already laded with lineups and drove to the more out-of-the-way places that still offered similar shopping experiences, museums, and other fabulous statues. Recognizing the youthful, vibrant feeling of the 2,500-year-old city, Marlow now understood why Milan was spoken of so highly worldwide.

Stopping along the canals, Milan's own tease of Vienna, Aubrey parked the car.

"I thought we could rent some bicycles and ride along the Naviglio Grande. It goes for about 30 km, but we won't go that far.

"Love it," Marlow said, beaming with excitement.

Making multiple pitstops for picture taking and checking out quaint, 'old Milan 'shops, Aubrey and Marlow did more tasting their way past several gelato shops, pastry shops, and bakeries than actual riding. Meeting up with Aubrey's friends for wonderful conversation and shared evening appetizers, Marlow was satisfied that nothing could make this day any better.

"If you're up for it," Aubrey said, "I have one last surprise for you."

"OK?" Marlow said cautiously. She was exhausted, and if Aubrey wanted to go out dancing or clubbing, she wasn't in the mood for that.

"Have you ever been to an outdoor pop-up cinema on the rooftop of a building before?" Aubrey asked.

"No, I haven't," Marlow responded.

"Well, there is a showing tonight that I thought we could go to."

"Do it, do it," Aubrey's friends said simultaneously. "You've got to do it."

"Uhm..."

"You can say no," Aubrey said, though her eyes showed the excitement she was feeling inside.