Introductions (Chapter 38)

It was a new morning after a great sleep, and Marlow was back in the car for the last few days of her holiday. Travelling through mountain tunnels again, she assumed she was heading back up north. Coming out of the dark and descending an incline so steep that the road was a series of switchbacks, Marlow got her first hint of where she was going.

"Is that the ocean?"

"That is the Ligurian Sea, and I have rented a yacht for us to use for the next four days. We will sail along the coastline, stopping wherever and whenever we want."

"No way!"

"Yes."

Squealing and stomping her feet, Marlow could not believe what she was hearing, but then, the reality of how much this would cost stopped her joy.

"Piero, you should not have done this."

"It's OK..." he started to say, but Marlow interrupted.

"It's not OK. I am going to feel so horrible all the time knowing just how expensive this had to have been."

"Marlow, trust me, it's OK," Piero repeated, quickly adding, "Our Captain is a long-time family friend. Whenever I want to get away, he's the one I call."

"Still, I know how much renting a private yacht can cost in Vancouver. This has got to be comparable, if not more."

Noting the furrow lines between his eyes, Marlow sensed Piero's growing impatience with her persistent apprehension over expenses. Understanding her concerns, Piero tried again to ease her fear.

"Marlow, please, I want to do this. I can afford to do this, and it would make me so much happier to know you'll enjoy it, too."

Sitting quietly, Marlow thought back to a previous discussion they had over money. Reminiscent of their past discussion on finances, it once again highlighted their vastly different spending power. Agreeing on a compromise,

Piero had promised to limit extravagant gestures to one, and this was it.

"You actually rented a yacht?" she asked, acknowledging Piero's thoughtfulness.

"I did."

"That's awesome."

***

Pulling up to a parking pad on a tight, windy road, Marlow followed Piero up a steep pathway. Stopping at a salmon-coloured home with flowerpots on each side of the door and plant boxes hanging off the balcony railings, Piero knocked on the door. Told little about Nicolo and his family, Marlow smiled as a little girl opened the door and giggled as Piero picked her up and squeezed her tight.

"Sofie, chi è?" a woman called from inside.

"Lui è Piero, Nonna."

Coming from another room, an older woman, standing no taller than five feet, beamed and held open her arms.

"Piero, perché tanto tempo non sei venuto a trovarci?" she scolded before kissing both cheeks.

Apologizing for not visiting sooner, Piero brought Marlow forward.

"Evangelina, vorrei presentarti Marlow. È venuta a trovarmi dal Canada."

"Canada?" Greeting Marlow in the same fashion, she added, "Benvenuta." Then, in her best broken English, she said, "Beautiful name for beautiful girl."

Motioning for the two of them to come into the house, Marlow smiled as she looked around. Now, this was a home that looked like what she envisioned an Italian home would be. Warm and cozy, the mix of wood, plaster, brick, and tile complemented the large fireplace in the main area.