Un'avventura Italiana (Chapter 31)

"Why are you always falling for people who will never be there for you?" Sawyer asked concern etched on his face.

"What do you mean?"

"Marlow, you say you want to be in love, but you always pick emotionally distant people, and now you're falling for a guy who is physically far away. It frustrates me to no end how you are so dammed independent that you are OK with part-time love." Sawyer punctuated his words with a loud slap on the table before continuing. "And when you get hurt, you accept it like that is all you deserve."

Anger rose in Marlow as she pushed back her chair, glaring at her boss.

"You don't know Piero like I do."

Leaving Sawyer in his office, Marlow was in no mood to interact with anyone. Sitting alone in her car, she stewed over Sawyer's comments. It was her life. She was a grown woman who could do as she pleased. Grumbling to herself as the minutes ticked by, eventually, her temper settled down. Sawyer was only partially correct. It was true; she hadn't been great at picking good guys to love, but this time, she did.

"Hey," Marlow quietly said, re-entering Sawyer's office.

Setting the folder he was looking at on the desk, Sawyer waited for Marlow to speak.

"Um, I just wanted to apologize for reacting as I did. You are my friend, and I know what you said is true. I do need someone who wants to love me seven days a week, 365 days a year."

Having Sawyer laugh, Marlow allowed herself to giggle.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Sawyer said, wrapping a protective arm around her shoulder. "You are young and need to find what works for you. I'm old and not great at choosing the right people, either. This Piero might be great, but I have trouble with what kind of relationship you can build when you are thousands of miles apart. You are a part of my family, and it just pains me to see you get hurt."

"I know."

"Are you still going to go?" Sawyer asked.

"Yes. Piero is different. Maybe I'm making another mistake, but Sawyer, what if I'm not? What if he is the one for me?"

***

Peering out the airplane window, Marlow watched as scattered towns surrounded by dense forest or farmers' fields gave way to an endless expanse of craggy mountaintops. This had to be the Italian/Swiss Alps, and if that was the case, she would meet up with the man she hadn't seen in person for several weeks in less than an hour. Gazing at the horizon, butterflies fluttered in her stomach, and Marlow gave herself a reassuring squeeze. Somewhere on the other side of those majestic peaks, Piero was driving to meet her. Teased with being told he would show her a part of the world that would capture her mind, body, and soul, Marlow couldn't wait for her flight to end.

***

"I am here," she sent off as the plane pulled up to the terminal. Standing and stretching, her body was stiff and ached. Hearing her phone vibrate, Marlow read the preview.

"Can't wait to see you."

Squeezing her eyes shut, she pushed down the urge to squeal. Moving down the aisle towards the exit, the stale and mixed odours of fifteen hours in a confined space hit her face. Desperate to find a washroom and at least brush her teeth and hair, she impatiently made her way through the barrier of disembarking passengers.

"Marlow, Marlow."

At first, she did not see him. But then, once people moved out of the way to greet their loved ones, she saw the man she had travelled thousands of kilometres for. Running towards her, holding a bouquet of roses, Piero again called out her name. Dropping her carry-on bag, she jumped into his arms. Lifted off the ground and spun around, she squeezed him tight.