A Day to Chill (Chapter 36)

Mother Nature was not cooperating with Piero's plans for a picnic and walking tour of Bologna. Waking up to a heavy downpour, Piero headed downstairs in his slippers and housecoat. Placing a coffee pod into the machine, he stared out the kitchen window. Perhaps this unexpected turn of events was a blessing in disguise. Accepting that Marlow had mentioned a desire to not go anywhere for at least one day, Piero accepted that today would be that day.

Pulling down two cups, Piero filled both with the fresh brew. Placing two flaky croissants, some jam, honey, and a bowl of strawberries and melons onto a tray, he quietly made his way back upstairs. Lightly tapping on Marlow's door and getting no response, he cautiously entered the room. She was still fast asleep. Placing the tray on the nightstand, Piero leaned over and gently kissed Marlow's cheek.

"Mmm," she uttered, stirring under his touch as he brushed her hair from her neck.

"Buongiorno amore mio," he said as her eyelashes fluttered open.

Pulling her quilt up higher and stretching, she smiled.

"Good morning."

"It's rainy today, so I thought we could just take it easy. What do you think?"

"Oh yes," Marlow said, giggling at her over-exuberance of joy.

Without the rush of time pushing them to hurry, eating and conversation occupied their time.

"This is so lovely, thank you."

"I'm glad you like it," Piero said, smiling, as Marlow swiped her thumb over her lips to catch the juices from the strawberry he had fed her. Reminiscing about the past few days, Piero unintentionally let slip that there would be many opportunities to relax over the next four days.

"Oh? OK."

Piero chuckled. He received too much joy from keeping their destination a secret, and she wasn't playing into it this time.

"Are you going to ask me where we're going?"

Glancing sideways up at him through her eyelashes, she only giggled and shook her head no.

Taking the empty plates and grabbing the tray, Piero hopped out of bed.

"I'm going to go work out in my gym instead of going for a run. Would you like to join me?"

Watching as Marlow snuggled back under the covers and smiled at him, he leaned over and kissed her forehead. Then, almost at the door, he turned back around and said, "I love you."

Grabbing her pillow, Marlow jokingly tossed it at him.

***

Closing her eyes and enjoying the tranquility of a rainy morning, it felt like a familiar Sunday back home. However, knowing that Piero was up somehow didn't make staying in bed that appealing. Changing into some workout attire and pulling her hair into a ponytail, she slipped on her runners. Descending the stairs, she could hear the steady pounding of footsteps on a treadmill.

Piero, lost in rigorous exertion, did not hear Marlow call his name. Making herself visible so he didn't hurt himself if she startled him, she smiled as he waved at her through the reflection in a mirrored wall, slowing his pace to a brisk walk.

"I thought I'd take you up on your offer and join you," she said.

"Awesome," Piero responded, stepping off the treadmill and wiping down his glistening chest, arms, and face.

"I'm not into doing the weightlifting thing if that's OK."

"That's fine. You can just run if that's all you want to do."