Prologue

It was not unusual for a child to be left at the door steps of random childless couples during this time because everyone knew the mythical world had gone wild with the unwanted pregnancies. And since it was illegal to get an abortion the only other solution was the orphanage or leaving their day's old child at random doors.

But what was unusual on that dark gloomy night was that a child, not older than six years was sleeping soundly without even a blanket to cover him, a few feet away from the door steps of The Night's.

The skies roared in anger, crashing against the thick blanket of black clouds and the lightning struck down upon every living creatures but the rains were yet to fall.

Not a door bell was rung nor even a knock heard but a need to go out before the heavens poured, deeply troubled Athene Night. Her husband Nick Night tried coaxing her wife's anxiety over nothing but to no avail as she still paced about the room.

Everyone knew not to go out before a rain on such days seeing it as the Moon Goddess's wrath upon all her guilty people. And they were right to fear the rains on such days because every guilty person who got caught in the rain were heavily burned which took days or sometimes months to heal. Humans remain unaffected but every other mythical creature knew not to go out of their homes unless they were as innocent as a child without fault. These rains came only once in a hundred years or so but every creature were still aware of its signs.

And tonight was one such night but despite warnings however Athene decided to ease her worries and stood fearfully in front of her door. It's just opening the door no further she told herself although she didn't trust her own words for she knew if she saw someone out there she wouldn't hesitate to welcome them with open arms unlike her husband.

" This is foolishness Love !" Nick gently pulled at her arms but she shrugged them off with a small smile to which he could only sigh knowing there was no stopping her at this point.

As her fingers latched on the knob the first drop of rain fell on the roof and when she pulled her door the rains poured heavier startling her to immediately leave the knob but the door remained opened.

Deep breaths and she calmed herself while her husband held her from behind. After another painful intake of breath her eyes carefully scanned her surroundings only to land on the body that laid in serenity a few feet away.

A gasp left her and fear clouded her eyes as tears began to fall.
" We need to help him!" She cried but Nick sternly disagreed.

" We'll get burned if we set foot out and I'm not loosing you to some god damm brat." His anger made her even more troubled as more tears fell down her cheeks.

She struggled against her husband's hold who held on even more tightly refusing to loosen his hold on his beloved.
After what seemed like ages she freed herself with much effort and ran straight out despite husband's best efforts to catch her again.

The first drop of rain upon her pale skin left a red angry spot but her speed only increased. Being a Vampire mated to a high rank vampire had blessed her with speed, strength and resistance against the sun but her past sins were not hidden to the Goddess whose tears burned her till every part of her pale skin was coloured in red.

Her husband in his anguished state followed after her refusing to leave her alone in her pain. In a matter of what seemed like hours for them in utter agony they finally reached the boy who still refused to open his eyes.

" He's only a child !" Her voice was soft yet loud enough for her husband to hear and with careful glances he too noticed the same.

"It must be the reason he's not getting burned."

Athene nodded in response as her hands reached forward to pick up the boy. Upon first touch the body in the ground glowed bright and all her wounds faded away in seconds. The rain felt more pleasant on her and what was once burning her was now healing her. Her shock matched her husband's whose wide eyes jumped from the glowing boy to his wife. But he composed himself all too quickly after feeling his skin start to peel off at his back.

"Let's hurry!"

His wife was still in a shock so he hurriedly picked up the glowing body and ran full speed inside not once realising that the rain had long stopped burning him too.