Chapter 8

SOPHIE

I watched Daryl leave after I told him we didn't stand a chance. He scared me. The club scared me. I wasn't afraid he would physically hurt me, at least I didn't think he would. It was the emotional damage he could do to me. Deep down I knew that this hard ass biker could be my undoing. Men had shit on me for years. Sean, I thought was the exception. We had been living together for about eight months. I knew the last few weeks we were arguing more than getting along. I didn't realize it was because I wasn't into the kinky sex that he was.

Sean had hinted about a threesome with Jordan once or twice and I had firmly told him no. It seemed like he should've been living with his best friend and not me. I did realize that while it hurt, I was going to be able to move on easier than I thought.

There was something about Daryl that if we got involved, losing him would never be easy. Whether he walked away or I did, either way, it would hurt me more than I could maybe handle. I had lost so much in my life than I didn't have it in me to take a chance on him.

My Daddy died when I was four. Momma kept us living in Georgia where Chrissy and her family were until I was about to go to high school. That's when she met Mike and we followed him to Kansas. They lasted a couple of years before we were on our own again.

She was working low paying jobs as was I. Not much available for a kid right out of high school except working at fast food joints or at the mall. I hated doing both. Together we barely made enough to keep a roof over our heads.

I had just gotten my first real job working as a receptionist in an office when Momma got sick. Six months later, I was totally on my own at twenty-two. Eight miserable years later, I'm back with the only family I have left.

And I'm confused more than ever.

I saw the life that Chrissy led. I'm not sure I could do that and there was no way I was going to invest my heart in a relationship that could only end with it shattering into a million heartbroken pieces.

Diesel loved Chrissy. I saw that every day, but he loved his club more. Plans got canceled instantly whenever his phone rang. Questions couldn't be asked and danger was right around the corner. That was not going to be the life I wanted to lead.

It was a shock when I saw Daryl standing next to Brick. We lived in the same town but I had been able to distance myself from the club as much as possible. Basically, that meant, I never went to any gathering at the clubhouse even though Chrissy tried to get me to go all the time. Plus, whenever I heard the rumble of more than one Harley approaching the house I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible.

It was time for me to start looking for a place of my own.

Still, I watched the man that confused my heart take off his cut before climbing into the van. There was a time when I didn't know what a cut was or why he took it off before getting into a...cage. At one time it was only a van, but why I thought about cars and trucks as cages now showed you how much influence the MC world had on me and I only lived on the edge of it.

Daryl rested his head back on the headrest of a second before hitting the steering wheel with the palm of his man. I felt his frustration as much as my own. It was my choice. I wanted to live my life following my own rules not one of a sexist male-dominated motorcycle club.

He never looked back into the shop before driving off. I hoped I hadn't cost Maddie their business. She had been good to me and it wouldn't be fair if this affected her.

"He's gone?" she asked quietly emerging from the back of the store.

"Yes, I'm so sorry Maddie. This never should have happened here. I was surprised to see him here."