Chapter 11

SOPHIE

I was nervous about this date. It could have simply been typical first date jitters, but I think it was more that I wasn't really sure I wanted to do this. Jacob seemed like a nice guy, but I wasn't certain what I felt went beyond that. But wasn't that the point of dating, to see what could it be?

It wasn't lust at first sight as it had been with Daryl. I was pretty certain if I was with him, we'd have burned out within a month at the most. Guys like Daryl are looking for an easy score, no matter what he says. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was an easy score...at least for him. I spread my legs faster than an ice cube would melt on a hot sidewalk that day. It was fun and the best sex I ever had, but I was also a total slut in doing it.

Daryl should be done with me and I didn't understand why he wasn't.

Jacob was the complete opposite of Daryl. He wasn't bad looking, but he didn't make my heart beat faster or certain pieces of my intimate apparel get damp. He was an average guy. And maybe I needed an average guy in my life. Daryl was completely different in everything about him. The second I saw him walking toward me that day of my flat tire, I wanted him. He was good looking, but not drop-dead gorgeous like Wolf and Diesel. There was something about him that drew me to him. And I was fighting that chemistry we had every single day.

The clock said I had ten minutes before Jacob was to arrive. I wore a cute sleeveless dress I had. It wasn't too flirty or too short. It was my favorite shade of blue with crisscross straps on my upper back. I wore matching sandals with a short heel. My purse laid waiting on the table. It held my lipstick and my phone along with cash, a credit card, and my license. Date essentials.

When there was a knock at my door, my heart jumped. "It's only dinner," I said to myself. Even though I knew it was Jacob on the other side, I was also hoping that it was Daryl. The man I shouldn't want but did.

"Good evening, Sophie. Are you ready to go? I don't want to be late for our reservation," was how Jacob greeted me. It was oddly formal.

"I'm ready," I told him with a smile. "Let me grab my purse."

After locking my door, I followed him down the stairs. I couldn't help but smile when I saw that he wasn't wearing plaid pants tonight. "Thank God," ran through my head as I saw his tan pants with a button-down shirt.

We made small talk during the drive to the restaurant. Jacob worked at an accounting firm here in Angel Valley. "How long have you worked there?" I asked.

"About two years. Mother was starting to need more help as her health declined so when a position opened up at Mercer and Dayton, I applied. I moved in with her so we don't waste money on those healthcare aides that steal you blind."

"That was so sweet of you," I told him. But I also thought it was slightly odd for a man of his age, which I took to be in his thirties, to be taking care of his sick mother. Then again, I was probably overthinking it.

When we arrived at the restaurant, he had me wait for him to open my door. I haven't had that done for quite some time. It was nice to be with a gentleman for a change. We sat down at our table and the hostess left us menus while letting us know our waitress would be right with us.

I barely had time to look at the menu, when Beth came over to introduce herself as our server. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

"I'll have a glass of the Pinot Grigio," I told her.

"No, we'll have a bottle of the Silverado Merlot, instead," Jacob interrupted.

I had to bite back what I really wanted to say to him. "Jacob, I don't like red wine. I would prefer the Pinot Grigio."