Chapter 35

Sophie

I was learning to become a baker or least maybe an assistant. Maddie and I had a long talk about what I was going to do. I needed money if I was going to get my own place or even move on. I had barely seventy-eight dollars left to my name, and that was going to get me nowhere.

She already knew I was uncomfortable about going back to work at selling in the front of the store. I wanted the least contact with anyone in the MC as I could get. That's when she suggested she could teach me to bake.

And I wasn't half bad.

In the weeks since I moved to working in the back of the house, I had learned to make the oversized cookies we sold. That was now my job. I also baked the cake layers for her specialty cakes, along with all of our cupcakes.

Icing them was another story. I certainly wasn't very artistic, so I needed a lot of practice to get anywhere close to what she could do. I was trying, but I wasn't ready yet to have mine out front to sell.

A buzzer went off, and I headed over to the convection oven to pull out my triple chocolate cookies. I moved four trays of them to a cooling rack before closing the oven door. The next batch, which was going to be snickerdoodles, should have been ready to go in, but it was taking me longer than usual to roll the round balls of dough into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

My head was not here today.

"How are you doing over there?" Maddie called out from her side of the large worktable.

It was just the two of us working. Jose and Eduardo were already gone. They arrived by three in the morning and were typically gone before noon.

"Good. Triple chocolate is cooling, and I'm finishing up the snickerdoodles."

Maddie put down the frosting spatula and walked over by me. "That's not what I meant. I can see what you're doing. How are you doing? You seem off today."

Was it the flat of eggs I dropped on the floor? Or that I had to make the snickerdoodles cookie dough twice to get the recipe correct? Or could she see the tears that still threatened to fall?

"I'm sorry. I don't know what's going on today," I lied.

"And I think Trax...Daryl still has you mixed up in knots. It's been what a month?"

"Thirty-two days." I skipped adding the four hours and ten minutes. Damn, I was pitiful.

She smiled at me and placed a hand on my arm. "I think you need to talk to him. Work out your problems. Fix what went wrong. You're miserable without him, and I bet he's the same".

The tears that had threatened to escape before started to flow. "He told me to get out and get gone, Maddie. Daryl was always the one that fought for us, but I guess I pushed him too far, and he's done with me."

"Then you need to show him that you're willing to fight for you both now. It's your turn." Maddie looked at the clock. "Do you have anything in the oven?"

"Not yet, why?"

"We've got time for a cup of tea and some girl talk. Let's go to the office."

I wasn't sure I wanted to talk, but Maddie had turned into my best friend. Maybe she had an idea of what I should do. We headed to her office, and within a couple of minutes, we each had a mug of hot tea in our hands.

"Do you forgive Daryl about Kat?" she asked.

I didn't want to, but I did. He didn't think I believed him but much to my own surprise I did. "Yes, I do. I did that day when we talked in his room, but he didn't give me a chance to say that. But that's not all."