Chapter 30

Sophie

I hated Daryl.

I hated him more than I have ever hated anyone in my life.

He broke my trust. He broke our love.

And I think he broke me. Or at least it feels that way.

After I ran out of the clubhouse, Brick barely had the gate open when I sped past him. I drove with tears streaming down my face until I found a place I could pull the car into. Now that I wasn't in any danger of killing myself or anyone else, I let everything out. I sobbed until I could barely breathe.

I couldn't believe he did that to me. I thought he loved me. Damn it, he told me he loved me and promised he would never cheat on me, but he did. And he did with that woman that had come to see him at the hospital.

The one I never told him about.

The one that looks so different than I do.

This feels even worse than when I found Sean screwing his best friend. And that was pretty damn bad. I had thought I had loved Sean, but maybe I didn't because it sure wasn't the way I loved Daryl. I had loved my big bad biker with every ounce of my being. Maybe that's why I feel so shattered.

Today had been going so well, too. My shift at the bakery went pretty fast. We stayed steadily busy all morning as more of the people of Angel Valley realized how good Maddie's baked goods were. Then before I knew it, my replacement was in, and I left as quickly as I could.

I was going house hunting!

This was something I never imagined I would ever do. Having the money to purchase a house was something I knew I would never have. Unless I won the lottery or some long-lost relative left me a bundle of money, I would never be able to afford to buy a house. At least not while it was just me.

I never expected to have a Daryl in my life. A man that wanted to take care of me. A man that had the means to do that through hard work and by merely saving his money.

A good man.

Or at least he was until I saw him making out with that woman. Now he was someone I hated.

Before my world came to an end, this was something I had been looking forward to since I moved into the clubhouse with him. We needed our own place, our own space, and most definitely our own privacy.

I was shocked at how much money Daryl had in his safe. Apparently, he doesn't believe in banks, which makes no sense to me, but I wasn't going to argue with him about it. We had a maximum of eighty thousand dollars to spend on a house. And that wasn't all of his money either. There was still enough left over to purchase the furniture that we were going to need to furnish it since neither one of us owned anything to begin with.

I felt like a kid on Christmas who had the run of the toy store. It would have been better if he had been able to come with me, but he still tired quickly and was in pain. We both felt it was better for me to scout the house first so the search could be narrowed down to just a few.

There were three houses on my list today. I found a real estate agent in town that was going to be showing me around. She helped me come up with these early prospects to look at for today.

The first one ended up only having a one-car garage, but one of Daryl's few requests was that it had to have space for two cars. Plus, the house felt small and claustrophobic. I preferred an open floor plan, and this house certainly didn't have it. The second house didn't work out either. I wanted something with three bedrooms, and it only had two, plus there was no master bathroom.