Chapter 34

TRAX

As I said before, stupid and angry are a bad combination, now add pride into it, and that's the perfect recipe for ruining the best thing that has ever happened to me. I guess I don't learn very quickly.

My old man always said I was a stupid piece of shit, and I guess he's right, which pisses me off even more. He was an evil son of a bitch who's drunk ravings were always products of his alcohol-soaked brain.

Except for this one time, he's fucking right.

I was angry with Sophie for not believing me. I don't lie. I never fucking lie and that she didn't believe me about Kat pissed me off. I got so furious in a split second that I got stupid.

Again.

And then my pride jumped in to make this an even bigger train wreck. Like crashing the train into a station full of people size disaster. Everything was gone in a flash, thanks to yours truly.

I pursued her right from the start. Well, that was once I knew where to find her. I should have got her number that day on the side of the road, but I didn't. Why not? Because I had never asked a woman for her number before...not even once.

It's like jumping out of a plane the first time. Unless someone gives you that big shove, it ain't gonna happen, and I had no one to give me that push. I was like a damn clueless teenager again.

But I got my shit together. Well sort of after that fucked up night at the club where I slugged Wolf, after that, I made it known to her that she was going to end up with me no matter what.

I never in all of my forty-one years did I ever go after a chick like I did Sophie. I pushed, I prodded, hell I even annoyed her just to get attention from her. I might as well have pulled her damn pigtails like I was a kid in grade school.

But I did end up with the girl.

That was fucking perfect. I found someone to love me. Me! Daryl As-white-trash-as-they-come Dixon found the woman made just for him, and then I threw it all away.

All because of my pride. Because I was tired of chasing her. And because I was angry that she didn't believe me.

That was the perfect recipe for me to fuck it all up.

I miss her. It's not just that I miss having the perfect pussy available to me whenever I want, I miss her smile. I miss the way that just having her at my side doesn't make the grumpy bastard I was known to be. She brought light and happiness into my life.

Damn, I'm turning into a fucking Hallmark greeting card. I think I need to check to see if I still have my balls.

As much as this hurts, I'm not going after her this time. What's done is done, and I need to move on.

And I am.

She showed me it was time to make a few changes, and that's what I'm doing. I've spent most of my life since I was sixteen, living at the clubhouse. For a guy that's more loner than anything else, my privacy was only available in a 12 x 12 room. The same place that I made Sophie live in for the past few months.

It was tight with the two of us, but we made it work. That was until I realized we needed more. I needed more. So even now, without her gone, I'm going for the change we both needed.

The real estate agent that Sophie had hooked up with called me when she couldn't get in touch with her. Apparently, there was a house that Sophie loved and wanted me to see. Instead of saying no because we were no longer together, I said yes, I would meet her the next day.