Chapter 24

Sophie

I could see the sign for the hospital lit up down the road. Bear cursed as the traffic light turned red in front of us. It was the last hurdle we had getting to the emergency room. Bear had blown through two of these lights already, but he wasn't careless. There was a car waiting at the light, so we had to stop this time or end up causing an unnecessary accident.

While the other vehicle slowly moved through the intersection, Bear reached back and patted my knee. Daryl had done that to me many times before when we rode. His was done in love, while Bear was doing his best to settle me down. I wiped my eyes with my hands, knowing I needed to pull myself together. First, I had to find out how bad Daryl was hurt, and then I'd deal with it.

I had to.

The second the car was through the intersection, Bear blew the light. His Harley came roaring up to the ER entrance, where two prospects stood waiting for us. I jumped off first, and then Bear did. Cage, one of the prospects, grabbed the bike.

"Do I even need to say it, prospect?" Bear growled.

Cage shook his head. "If I dent, scratch or damage the bike in any way, I'm dead."

"Fucking right. Now, where's everyone?"

"Diesel and Ghost are in the ER getting patched up. Stitch could've done it, but they were all in the same van. Mace said it was easier to keep everyone here even though the cops will be asking questions. Blade, Jet, and Trax are in surgery. Most of the club is here, and they got us in this waiting room. Follow me," Dutch said.

"Hold up. Cage, you wait here for Colt and Chrissy after you take care of my bike. Take them to Diesel."

The second Bear stopped talking he grabbed my hand in his big one, and we all ran inside. Dutch got us to the surgical floor waiting room as fast as possible. The second I walked into the waiting room, I was blown away by the number of people in there. Everyone was associated with the club one way or another. How had they gotten here so fast?

"What's their status?" Bear demanded the second he set foot in the room.

Mace was already on his way toward us. His face was grim, not to mention his gray t-shirt under his cut was covered in blood. That's when it sunk in how bad this was. I swayed for a second before I felt Bear's arm go around my waist to steady me.

"Jet got hit twice in the leg, and it's too close to some artery, so they are taking the bullets out in the OR. Blade only got grazed, but when his bike when down, it landed on his leg and broke it...bad. They are setting his leg. It looked like shit, Prez."

"What about Trax?" I pleaded.

The look of concern and sadness in Mace's eyes shook me. "I ain't gonna lie, but he got hit the worst, once in the shoulder, but also his back. When his bike went down, it went down hard. Doc thinks he may hit his head on the pavement. They have him in surgery."

"Oh my God," I cried. This was really bad. Like really, really bad. I had hoped for better, much better, but this was scary bad. "Was he awake at all?"

Mace shook his head. "Naw. He was unconscious the whole time."

I couldn't help the tears streaming down my cheeks. I knew I should be strong for him, but I was so scared. A pair of arms wrapped around, so I turned my head to see who it was. Sugar gave me a weak smile. "Come sit with me," he said, pulling me toward him.

Daryl's brother had us sit on this small sofa while he kept his arm around me. Strangely I found it somewhat comforting even though his shirt and jeans were covered in blood too.