Chapter 7

‘Thant’s what you’re wearing?’

I glared at Britt, ‘What’s wrong with it?’

‘You’re not wearing baggy jeans and a crumpled shirt to dinner.’

‘It’s dinner with Eric!’

‘I don’t care,  you can’t wear that!’

I groaned at my thirteen year old half-sister, ‘What would you pick?’

‘I’m glad you asked.’ Oh lord.

She went to my closet and pulled out a pair of stone washed jeans shorts and a black fitted shirt with a green collar. I have to admit it’s a nice outfit.

‘Thanks Britt.’

‘It’s okay, here.’ She handed me my lime green All Stars and cellphone.

I kissed her cheek and pulled on the clothes, Britt made me sit while she brushed my hair up into a neat bun since I refused to leave it down, she did however curl my bangs and leave them hanging down the sides of my face.

‘That’s gonna annoy me all night.’ I groaned and pulled on a curl.

Britt smacked my hand, ‘Leave them alone. You look pretty.’

‘Why should I care about looking pretty? I’m just meeting Eric.’

‘But this is fun!’

‘Did you run out of Barbie dolls to dress up?’

She rolled her eyes at me and gave me the finger.

‘Hey! Don’t let mom see you do that, she’ll be pissed.’

‘Okay, okay.’

Slipping my cell phone into my pocket I headed down stairs, the sound of a hooter could be heard from below. I’d called a cab to take me to the restaurant since Eric was going to meet me there after one of his many dates. Although for Eric, what passes for a date is a quickie in the girl’s room or his car.

The Paper Lantern is this little Chinese restaurant that’s just always been around, I don’t remember when they opened or when I started going there. I just know I love their food so much because it’s delicious and different, in a good type of way.

The barista recognised me as soon as I stepped in the door and led me over to a table next to the windows, I like the window tables best because you can see the moon clearly while you eat. Tonight there was a beautiful full moon shining down from a clear sky, it was oddly alluring.

‘Would you like to order?’

I looked up at the smiling waitress, ‘I’ll just have an ice tea, I’m waiting for a friend.’