Chapter 11

As soon as I walked through the door my mother had me in a bone crushing hug, I pushed her off me.

‘Are you okay? Eric told me a blood wolf took you, did he hurt you!?’

I glared at her, ‘No, Tristan didn’t hurt me, he looked after me.’

‘What? Eric said that the wolf attacked him.’

‘Eric was the one that let his temper get out of control and attacked Tristan. He changed into that- monster!’

My mother noticed the three scars on my arm, What happened!? Who-‘

I stopped her, ‘I tried to stop Eric from hurting Tristan while he was in the middle of his… change. He scratched me but it healed.’ I’m still getting used to this instant healing thing.

‘He didn’t tell me that.’

‘Figures. So when were you planning on telling me all about werewolves?’

She turned bright red, ‘Maybe we should go sit and talk about this?’

I sat down on the sofa in our lounge and glared at her, waiting.

‘Alright, what did the blood sucker tell you?’

‘Don’t call him that. He told me about the history and why the packs fight, by the way, what pack do we belong to?’

‘Well we’re considered part of the Blair Pack, Eric and his dad are part of it as well.’

‘What do you mean considered?’

‘I have to explain this from the beginning so just bear with me. Male werewolves can turn into giant wolves from the age of seventeen, they can trigger the change whenever they want, it has nothing to do with the full moon. The males are the fighters so they immediately get the ability to change along with the faster healing, extra strength and a better sense of smell.’

I frowned, ‘What about girls, I’ve got the healing and the smell, I know that.’

‘But you can’t transform. Not properly anyway, females have a choice. Once we turn seventeen the girls have their abilities but instead of strength we get some extra speed, not super human just a little faster than the normal person.’

‘So I’m not gonna go all scary wolf beast?’

She rolled her eyes, ‘We can still protect ourselves.’ I watched as she held up her hand and concentrated. The nails deepened in colour and grew longer, like claws.

On instinct I scurried back on the couch.

She quickly put her hand down, ‘Relax, it’s okay. I haven’t done that for a while.’

‘Can I do that?’

‘Yes, you just need to learn to trigger it. It used to happen to me when I was panicked, anyway, you won’t be able to turn into a wolf unless a male wolf’s blood Is mixed with yours. It’s our choice whether or not we want to change. The pack protects the female wolves so we’re just there, not privy to pack matters but it doesn’t bother me. I prefer not having anything to do with werewolf matters.’

‘You’re really happy being clueless about what’s going on?’

‘It’s less trouble for me.’

‘Does Robert know about all this? Is he a werewolf?’ If my boring step dads a werewolf then I give up.

‘He knows but he’s not a wolf.’