Chapter 15

The forest wasn’t as dense as I thought it would be, the trees created a thick and unending canopy that gave the false impression of denseness from the outside. It’s really pretty in here though, almost everything seems to be in shades of green or brown. More green, the light mossy greens covering the ground, minty grasses and large dark green leaves handing from the trees.

I almost wish I could just sit against one of these trees and just enjoy the view.

It’s still weird to be able to pick out people’s different scents, the smells unique to each individual. It’s not like just smelling strong perfume or bodily odour, it’s literally a personal smell. Right now I’m walking through the trees following the soft smell of pine cones and mint.

I saw the huge black wolf in the distance between the trees before he spotted me, it was pacing back and forth looking extremely upset. His claws dug into the ground leaving deep indents in the soil and I noticed some of the trees had been stripped of their bark, others completely uprooted.

‘Tristan?’ I whispered knowing he would hear me.

The wolf’s huge head turned suddenly to glare at me but his eyes softened when he saw it was me. Shaking his head slightly the wolf began to retreat away from me.

‘Wait, don’t go.’ I said quickly taking a few steps forward.

Swallowing my fear I came to stand directly in front of him. Being this close made me appreciate the sheer size of him, at least a head taller than me and huge. Friggin huge. His teeth, well fangs are almost as long as my middle finger. I’m not even going to look at his claws, it’ll probably just freak me out more.

His eyes look so sad though. I’m so busy looking at how huge and frightening he is and I didn’t notice the eyes. So big, so sad.

‘You look so sad.’ I whispered almost involuntarily.

He closed the distance between us and nudged my arm with his mussel letting out a slow sad whine. I realised that my hands had changed into furry, clawed… whatever’s. I guess fear triggers it too.

‘I didn’t mean to… I didn’t change them on purpose.’ I struggled for the right words.

Concentrating I changed my hands back, it seems to get easier the more I do it, quicker and quicker each time.

Taking a deep breath I reached out and wound my hand into his fur just behind his ear, Tristan leaned his head down so I could reach a bit better. His fur was so soft, so wonderfully soft and silky. I scratched behind his ear like you would a dog, he seemed to love it.

‘Your fur is so soft. I thought it would be wiry or matted but it’s lovely.’

He sat down on the ground and lowered his body so he was lying on his stomach, nudging me gently with his head to come closer. Smiling I sat down between his back and front legs on the left side of his body so I could lean back against him.

‘Your body's really warm, it’s not this hot when you’re human.’

I felt his body vibrate as he chuckled, well I thought it was a chuckle. Then I realised what I'd said.

‘I did not just call you hot, okay. So stop laughing at me.’

He did stop. Eventually.

We sat like that for a while, I don’t really know how long it was but I don’t care. I wanted to sit and enjoy the forest, without knowing it Tristan’s letting me do exactly what I wanted.

‘You know, it would be nice if we could talk.’ I said sarcastically, smiling at him.

Tristan carefully stood up, making sure his claws and sharp teeth didn’t accidently hurt me. It made me feel so breakable to think that he could kill me with just one slash of those claws. I should be more afraid of him considering he bit me earlier.