Chapter 17

I woke up to Britt shaking my shoulders. ‘Geez, don’t you know not to wake a sleeping person?’

‘We have to get ready for school, you’ve missed a whole week!’ I groaned, mom had told her I was staying at a friend’s house.

‘Nooo, I don’t wanna go.’

‘Come on, mom said if you don’t get up she’ll turf out the peanut butter.’

I shot up in bed, ‘She wouldn’t!’

‘But I might.’

My eyes widened as she took off, after a second of deliberation I followed. Catching my half-sister before she could throw away my precious peanut butter.

‘Give it, you little monster!’

‘Nah.’

‘If you don’t  I swear I’ll cut off all your hair when you’re asleep.’ Her mouth dropped open and she quickly handed over the jar of peanut butter.

‘Thanks.’ I said it sweetly and headed off back to my room to get dressed.

Being in a bad mood from being woken up I dressed to reflect it, black jeans, dark green tee shirt and a grey hoodie. My grey tommies were right next to my bed so I slipped them on and grabbed my backpack, slipping the peanut butter into it.

I heard a car horn from outside. I’d completely forgotten Eric was going to pick Britt and I up for school. Damn.

He looked shocked when I got into the car but couldn’t say anything since Britt was sitting in front with him. The whole ride to school he was silent but I could see his white knuckles gripping the steering wheel like he wanted to twist the metal.

Britt got out of the car and headed off towards her friends but Eric stopped me before I could slink away to the library.

‘What happened to your neck?’ He asked in a stony voice.

‘It was an accident. Tristan bit me and he couldn’t stop.’

‘So that what you are now? A blood bag for one of those leaches?’ He didn’t sound angry like I’d expected, he was sad.

‘Do you really think I’d let that happen? In all the years you’ve known me Eric, have i ever let someone just use me?’

‘No but why’re you sticking around him then?’

‘I’m dating him Eric, I like him.’

His face contorted in anger, ‘What th-‘

‘Hey, don’t give me that. You’ve had plenty of girlfriends that I didn’t like and I’ve watched you treat girls like they’re disposable but I’ve never given you crap for it so do me the same favour. I’m happy, can’t you see I’m happy with him?’

His face flooded with guilt and he pulled me to his chest in a crushing hug, ‘I’ll try.’

‘Thanks.’

I headed off to the library to read a bit before school started, it’s nice and quiet up there so no one really bothers me. My first lesson was math where the teacher reamed me for not being in class and heaped me with the homework I’d missed. I don’t plan on doing it anyway. Second class was gym or hell depending on how you look at it.

Lunch time rolled around eventually and I made my way down to the food hall, standing in the short line tapping my foot I didn’t notice Eric come up behind me.

‘Hey Greenie.’

‘Hmm? Oh hi.’

He smiled softly, ‘You done icing me out?’ He looked so hopeful.