Chapter 20

Tristan and I watched all three of The Lion King movies together, we just lay on his bed watching the cartoon lions. I don’t know exactly how it happened but I ended up lying with my head on Tristan’s chest listening to his heartbeat, one of his hands rested on my still bare stomach and the other aimlessly played with my hair.

It didn’t really matter to me that I was still in my jeans and a bra since he was shirtless too. I love how warm his skin is against mine that’s why I haven’t moved from my spot.

‘Your hair’s pretty.’ He muttered softly.

‘Thanks,’ I rested my hand on his leg. ‘It got a bit longer and darker after my birthday, after I changed.’

‘Yeah, that’s your biology restructuring your body. It’s uh, making you more adapt for mating.’

‘Well that’s just weird. All that stuff about mates, is that real?’

He seemed to choose his next words carefully, ‘In a way no. Mates aren’t real in the way books and moves portray them, we have a choice. If two people want to they can claim each other as a mate, that means they belong to each other and no one can break that except the two. Although from what I’ve heard it hurts like hell to break that bond. The number one rule of all wolves is that a mate, human or wolf can’t be hurt.’

‘I think my mom was mated with my dad. What happens if a mate is hurt?’

‘The offender is banished from their pack and the other mate can challenge the offender in a fight, to the death.’

‘Wow… You take this stuff seriously, don’t you?’

‘It’s always been like this as far as I know.’

‘Will you try to change things?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Your dad’s alpha, you’ll be the Alpha of your pack next, right?’

He chuckled, ‘No, no. I should’ve told you, I have an older brother. I’ll only be the alpha if he can’t or won’t be.’

‘Oh, what’s his name?’

‘Connor.’ I could hear the smile in his voice.

‘How old is he?’

‘He’s twenty three, that’s six years older than me but he acts like such a kid sometimes.’

‘Are you guys close?’

‘Yeah, my dad always made sure we were. He’s off with my dad right now though, they’re trying to set up a peace treaty with another pack.’

‘Sounds fun.’ I joked.

‘Yeah, I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with that crap, I’ll end up as the pack beta so my brother has to deal with all the shit stuff.’

‘Got any other siblings hidden away?’ I meant it as a joke but I felt his entire body go rigid underneath me. ‘Tristan? What’s the matter?’

‘I had a sister, Ava was-‘ He stopped suddenly, ‘I don’t want to talk about it.’

‘That’s okay.’ I turned around and kissed his cheek. ‘I won’t push you to tell me.’

He sat up and put his hands on my waist, ‘Thanks.’

Suddenly he pushed my backwards so I landed flat on my back, head just below the pillows. I squeaked in surprise but his lips were on mine in seconds. He was smiling into the kiss, biting my bottom lip a few times. My hand curled around his neck instinctively and I arched my back try to get closer to him.