52

"I am afraid this won't work," Uncle Bin was the first to speak up after I explained my plan. "The Empress comes from a prestigious family... This might be too minor."

       A genius would never tell anyone the rest of her schemes. It's too dangerous to expose all of what I wanted to do, to a group of people. Who knows what these people are capable of? Trust is important in a relationship but I can't trust anyone anymore. 

        Last night, I visualized and played the scenario of the Empress being exposed in front of many in a loop. My hatred for her gradually rose to the point where I'll burn when I see her face. How can we let a murderer be the mother of our nation? How can we let such a corrupt woman get such a high title? It's not different than it is in modern society. Countries will have corrupt officials, it's quite common. 

         I wanted to bring the Empress down and I'll do whatever it takes to bring her down. I'll risk my life for it. Clearly, she doesn't know who she's truly messing with. By the time I'm finished, she'd wish she didn't slap me the first time we met. 

        Who have I become? I don't know, but I liked it.

        "I trust her, the maid," I indicated the maid sitting next to him on the right. She had an innocent aura. I looked at her. "You'll do it, won't you?"

        "Yes, Your Grace," she nodded firmly. "Her Majesty treats us decently, but one small thing can get us flogged... Sometimes I contemplate whether to put something in her drink or not."

       I'll pretend like I didn't hear that...

      "Please be careful." I placed my palm on the table and got up. 

       The maid bowed her head. "Yes, Your Grace. I'll risk my life if I have to."

      "Hearing that brings a smile on my face but," my smile faded slowly, and I soon was concerned for the maid's safety. "Do not risk your life. I'll regret it and hate myself for the rest of my life."

        She smiled, sadly, and I knew she wouldn't listen to me. Having people willingly die or risk their lives to kill you, must say something about your character. 

        Uncle Bin sighed in defeat. He looked up and proceeded to give me a big smile. "Well, Your Grace is a very intelligent woman and I believe in you!"

        "As do I." the maid dipped her head down.

        "Great," I smiled. "Then I'll take my leave from here."

       Now it's been hours and I still haven't had a word from Uncle Bin. I've been inside all day and still, nothing has come up. I was starting to doubt my efforts. The Empress had to have secrets of her own. 

        What if I misjudged her and there were not a lot of things the Empress had done? Perhaps she kept her possessions hidden. I mean, if I was her, I would. Maids are extremely vigilant, from what I know, but if she doesn't find anything useful, I might have to cry. I'll cry for a bit and work myself into sneaking into the Empress's estate.

        Yes, that'll work. 

       I let out a groan, startling Hua Er as she worked on a new attire for herself. Her fingers worked gently on the machine and I was glad she didn't hurt them. The last time I worked on a sewing machine was years ago. I had to do it for a class and it was unbearable. I ended up destroying the fabric and failing the assignment, but I still passed the course.

       Memories. 

       Still, I think of myself before this journey, and I think I've learned a lot. Sometimes, I even forget my name is Carmen and not Ying Yue. But it was nice to be called Madame Ying Yue. I still yearn to go back but leaving this place would be like leaving a place where I felt more... I don't know... Independent? Strong?