59

"Fen Ai looks amazing, Your Grace!" Snoopy whispered in my ear.

         I nodded, smiling like a proud mother watching her children. Fen Ai was shining, she was the main actress in the play. The play was entertaining. I rarely ever watched a play, except in high school like once or twice. Fen Ai was elegant in her attire, wearing a beautiful headpiece. Make-up was powdered on heavily.

        The plot was fuzzy. I was interested but I couldn't concentrate with Chang Ying a few meters away from me. However, I picked it up effortlessly after the climax.

        "You are not the love that I thought you were!" Fen Ai exclaimed. She pointed her finger at the other actor. He was average-looking. I sensed the concubines fanning over him. I had to stifle a smile.

        "My love... I love you... My spirit and yours are meant to harmonize! The river flows, flowing effortlessly and never stopping, until the winter season arrives," the boyfriend cries, palming Fen Ai's cheek. "The river in my heart will not freeze. It is warm for you, my dear."

         Ew. I cringed at the ridiculous metaphor.

        Fen Ai shoved his head away, then started to shed light tears. She turned to face him again. "You... You are unfaithful! The river in your heart is not a river! It is a mirage!"

        "My dear, please!" the boyfriend pleads, grabbing ahold of Fen Ai's arm, but she shrugged it off completely. 

       Again, Fen Ai walks away from the man, pausing to cross her arms in anger. She sang beautifully, harmonizing with the cast members playing the pipa. Two women behind her sing in unison. 

        The play continued with Fen Ai speaking poetically about the deception of her lover. It sounded boring when you explain it, but all in all, it was a very interesting play. The Emperor was also enjoying it. But, I think he related to it as well. The man in the play appeared gentle at first but after, he quickly ran behind a room divider. 

       When he arrived back, his clothes are all in black. 

        "You were kind to me, showed me everything there was in the world," Fen Ai whispered loudly. "How could you!"

        I stifled a laugh when Fen Ai let out a loud howling scream before he "kills" her. The play ends off with more harmonious tones, and that was it. It was long enough to keep me entertained. That was all it mattered. 

        The play finished and the banquet was done. Many were raving about the performance of the actress, which was my maid. The Emperor pleasingly smiled at me. "I am glad I granted your maid a chance. She did well."

        "I thank you on behalf of her, Your Majesty." I enjoyed my last sip of tea before rising from my seat. 

       "I will reward her accordingly." the Emperor nodded at my departure. I smiled gratefully, then followed the rest of the crowd to exit. Snoopy supported my hand when I walked through the bodies.

       Niu Lin was making her way out. I paused as the lower-ranking consorts made their way for me to walk through. As I finally reached outside, the silence was deadly. I was staring at the back of Niu Lin's head, with her maids behind her without noticing me. 

        I speed-walked next to her, her maids bowed with their heads. Niu Lin bowed, raising her eyebrows at my presence. "Greetings to Your Grace."

       I didn't know where to start. Niu Lin looked at me innocently, with no demise in her eyes anymore. We had a truce. I already granted her a residence to stay at from the deal we made before. Regardless of that, there was hate resonating beneath my skin. There was no way I could easily forgive her.