1. I choose you (draft for an unnamed project)

And the project would probably never be complete and published cause I've other stuff to work on...

Or at least it wouldn't be done anytime soon if I actually make it a story.

I looked at the clock as the minutes ticked by slowly, waiting for the professor to return.

"Yarrow."

My heart rate quickened as I instinctively turned my head towards the source of the noise. I could feel my heart rate slow slightly when I saw the skinny young man in his lab coat. His green eyes looked into mine for a second.

"Are you ready?" He continued on. I nodded, standing up and walking into the other room. I looked around, it was small yet cozy, pokemon toys littered around the area. At one corner there were three beds, each one housing a Pokémon.

"Sorry for the mess..." the professor commented sheepishly, placing a hand on his head.

"It's fine Professor Lotus." I replied, looking down at the three starter Pokémon. The Charmander and Squirtle were looking up curiously, pushing each other slightly as they tried to get a closer look. The Bulbasaur, however, just seemed to be annoyed. It only bothered to take a single glance at me before shutting off completely.

"Choose carefully Yarrow, I would give you all three but..." the professor sighed, running a hand through his golden hair. "These pokemon have been becoming more and more endangered, with more breeders refusing to breed more due to the lack of demand. I kind of need them, just in case you know?"

"I get it Professor Lotus." I attempted to reassure him, looking back at the Pokémon.

Charmander seemed like a great choice. This one was full of spirit, fighting for attention alongside the squirtle. The squirtle seemed equally enthusiastic, and may be a good pick as well. Then there was that grumpy bulbasaur at the corner. It's face still turned away as it refused to acknowledge my presence.

"What's up with the bulbasaur?"

"Bulbasaur eh?" Professor Lotus pushed up his glasses. "The poor thing's been rejected one too many times when the kids around here play Pokémon battle."

"I never noticed." I raised an eyebrow at the bulbasaur.

"That's because you are too busy reading a book or something whenever the kids come by to play." The professor explained, petting the bulbasaur on the head. The annoyed Pokémon sent out a vine whip, using it to gently push the professor's hand away.

Professor Lotus smiled sadly, adhering to the bulbasaur's wishes.

"I choose bulbasaur." I decided, making both Pokémon and human stare in shock.

"I don't know... Bulbasaur has quite a lot of weaknesses as a grass type... and this isn't some pet adoption either. Your starter is literally going to make the difference between your life and death." The professor placed a hand on his head. "Your parents would want you alive."

"Of course they would, but I choose Bulbasaur." I confirmed. "All pokemon could be good if trained in the right way. You said so yourself."

"Yarrow... I..." he sighed. "Fine... take the bulbasaur... just... be careful ok?"

"Bulba—" the bulbasaur turned around to finally face me. It's eyes were sad as it shook its head quietly. "Bulba—bulbasaur! Bul!" It pointed its vines at the Charmander and Squirtle while nodding before gesturing to itself and making a cross with its vines.

"I choose you bulbasaur, not the other two." I petted it on its head.

"Bulbasaur! Bulbasaur!" The Pokémon waved its vines frantically. It was as though it was telling me that choosing it was a big mistake. Meanwhile, Professor Lotus just looked on from the sidelines, unable to say anything.

"Can I have bulbasaur's pokéball please?" I questioned the professor.

"Of course..." he replied, unclipping a pokeball from his belt and handing it over. It had a leaf-shaped symbol printed on it, signifying it's status as a starter Pokémon pokéball.

"Thanks professor."

"You don't have to thank me, it's my duty after all." The professor searched his pocket, bringing out a device and a few pokéballs.

"Here's a complete national pokédex."  He handed it over. "Of course, there may be still Pokémon that we haven't discovered. However, this Pokédex has all the information you need to know about the thousand plus Pokémon we have discovered of late. If you meet an unknown Pokémon and catch it, its data would also be recorded into the device." He turned on the Pokédex. "Of course, you wouldn't have to do anything pokemon collecting. It's too dangerous, when compared to the past. However, feel free to do so if you want to."

"Thanks professor." I accepted the Pokédex and pokéballs, flipping over to bulbasaur's Pokédex entry.

"Bulbasaur, the seed Pokémon, A strange seed has been planted on its back since birth. It grows steadily larger over time." I smiled a little at the Pokédex entry, pocketing the pokéballs and Pokédex soon after.

"Come on Bulbasaur, let's go."

"Bulba! Bulb!" The Pokémon protested.

"Hey," I kneeled down. "I choose you buddy, no one else. Now come along, we have a journey to start." I petted the bulbasaur's head before standing up and walking out of the room, gesturing the bulbasaur to come along.

"Bulba..." the bulbasaur stood up, finally complying and following after me.

I picked up my bag pack before looking in a nearby mirror. My brown hair seemed neat enough, even though it was slightly spiky.

"Are you about into leave Yarrow?" Professor Lotus walked over.

"Yea... I guess I should get going.

"Be careful out there my boy... be careful..." Professor Lotus zoned out for a moment.

"Professor Yarrow?"

"Oh." He blinked, returning back to earth. "Sorry about that. Now I wish you the best on your journey, ok?"

"Thanks." I simply replied, walking out of the laboratory with bulbasaur by my side.

As I walked towards the entrance of my little village I could feel the wind rushing through my hair, the words "be careful out there, boy" riding on the waves of the wind.

Here's a draft summary:

The Pokémon world just wasn't what it used to be anymore. Thieves, kidnappers and villainous organizations have started to overpower even the strongest of trainers.

New trainers become rarer and rarer, to the point where hardly anyone goes on a Pokémon journey anymore. These days, children aged ten tend to stay at home, playing computer games and the such.

This book follows the story of Yarrow, a young boy on a Pokémon Quest to honor his dead parents.