Rainy Day

Why have all these oneshots so far included Mumbo? XD

Word count: 2640
_________________________________________

Grian stared up at his ceiling, smiling to himself as he counted the crevices in his general perspective. It was warm and cosy in his little hobbit hole, sheltering him from the rain that poured heavily just outside

It was still early in the morning, and Grian had woken up to a clap of thunder. He had been ready for another busy day of work, but now, that would have to wait. The storm ddn't seem like it would pass anytime soon, so he would have to just try to relax for what might be the rest of the day.

Last night marked yet another night of sound sleep, and Grian had decided that he'd celebrate with a hot cup of tea. He held the cup in his trembling hands as he turned his attention to look outside, watching the droplets of water roll down his window. He picked one and silently rooted for it to fall first.

The silence of the base made him feel like he was the only person left in this world. He knew that that wasn't true, but he needed to consciously remind himself that he wasn't alone, and that he would never have to feel alone ever again.

For the first time in a long time, Grian was left alone to his thoughts, and for the first time in a long time, the grief and guilt of everything that had happened weren't trying to crush him from the inside until he became nothing but a sorrowful mess.

He didn't have much to distract himself from his thoughts, and yet, they were letting him relax and have a good time.

It had been a slow process for him to where he was now, and that was alright. At least he was getting better, little by little. Baby steps. The past didn't come back to overstay its welcome, and that was the first step in recovering so that it wouldn't interfere with his future.

A future that he was now sure he had.

He wrapped himself in a blanket and sat down by the messaging system, waiting for Mumbo to respond to their little game of noughts and crosses. His fellow hobbit was finally beginning to respond, and Grian could be grateful for that, even if he was responding to the messages simply because he had nothing better to do. The pouring rain would have put all of the hermits on the server out of commission. No one would be working in this kind of weather.

Grian had considered braving the storm in favour of collecting some resources. However, he remembered the last time he had tried to be stubborn, and how badly that had ended for him.

Mansions won't build themselves is what he had said, but the weather was having none of it. The moment he had taken flight, his elytra ripped completely due to the sheer force of the blowing wind and he was forced to crash into the dirt paths in Scar's lovely village, face planting directly into the mud.

He couldn't even admire the architecture of the place as he dragged himself home because the storm had obstructed his vision completely.

Needless to say, he wasn't doing that again. He'd rather faceplant into the dirt when it wasn't as muddy.

He much preferred his current set up, holding a hot cup of tea to warm his cold hands as he waited somewhat impatiently for a response. It felt nice to be alone. It really did!

He took a moment to scowl at Professor Beak. Pesky bird...

Truly, he was going insane.

He took a sip of his tea before the bell in his alarm system started to ring loudly in his ears, establishing a sense of urgency as he moved quickly to deactivate the machine as soon as possible. How Iskall had survived that noise for the better part of two hours, he didn't know.