Chapter 8 : Macaw

Max was woken up by whining. She had a start and saw some movements in Jane's bed. She took her button and called Meredith. The nurse entered and understood it wasn't for her. Luckily, Meredith managed to calm Jane.

- "What happened?" Max asked, rubbing her eyes.

- "A nightmare, it's normal," Meredith reassured.

Two nurses entered, went to Jane, and drew the curtain.

- "What are they doing?"

- "They are here to create habits to Jane."

- "They will come here every day to...do what they are doing?" Max frowned.

- "Yes, they will come the entire day to take care of her."

- "Like a schedule?"

- "Exactly, like that Jane won't be temporally lost."

- "Okay, cool."

- "Don't worry, there will be some time where no one will come, if you want to be alone."

Max nodded. In fact, she was more curious to ask Jane some questions. She knew she wouldn't hear her voice, but at least she could ask her easy questions, it would be more interesting than before. But, for now, it was a procession of nurses, doctors, and other people with white coats; all here for Jane. It must have been so oppressive; she didn't know how Jane did to not break down. She certainly didn't understand what was happening.

At the end of the afternoon, it was finally quiet. She sighed a long moment with her mouth, enjoying the silence. She was tired, and her leg was hurting because of the reeducation she did. She thought it was too early to do reeducation, but they certainly needed some bed, and she wasn't important enough to have a real reeducation. She didn't want to annoy Jane with her stupid questions, all the hospital already annoyed her the entire day to know what she was remembering. But maybe she could just talk to her, for a few minutes, to change her thoughts, and maybe changing Jane's thoughts too. She didn't call Meredith as she could put her foot on the ground now. She took two crutches and walked with difficulties to the armchair next to Jane. When she sat, the brunette turned a bit her head in her direction.

- "Hey Jane," Max smiled. "No stress, you don't know me and it's normal. I'm Max, I'm in the bed in front of you; you were still in your coma when I arrived. You must be lost, wondering what's happening and why you're here, huh? Did they tell you? (two blinks) They certainly wait for the right moment to tell you. It's so cool, you can finally answer me! I spent the last days talking to you, but as you were mentally far, you couldn't answer me, and now you can, that's great! Don't be mad, I looked in your stuff, but I didn't steal you, I just wanted to know a bit more about my roommate, and, well, I ate some of your chocolates, sorry...I never thought you would wake up so rapidly, it's incredible! But they were good, if you were wondering. Are you scared? (one blink) Well, I guess it's normal, but there is nothing to worry about, they will take care of you, you'll be better. I mean, look at me, in one week I got two operations! But I think they are trying to get rid of me, I'm a bit annoying. Don't blink or I'll be upset (Max chuckles). Anyway, do you like birds? You remember about a passion for birds? (two blinks) It's fine, it will come back, but see, (searches in Jane's bag and puts out the big book) you've this, it's a big book! You wanna see? (one blink) Cool, the pictures are beautiful, you'll see."

Max put closer her armchair and placed the book on the bed, vertically, to be sure Jane could correctly see.

- "You can see? (one blink) Cool. Don't worry, we won't do all the pages, as there are million birds on the Earth, but I can show you some of them, some I remember. I didn't read everything, but some have beautiful colors. Look, the macaw, it's a good beginning, right? (one blink) Do you like this bird? (one blink) Cool, me too, I like his flashy colors. They can live for hundred years, awesome! I didn't know that, did you? (one blink) Yeah, but you cheat, it's your book, you certainly read it a million time."

Max noticed that Jane was weakly moving her fingers.

- "You wanna touch it?"

Jane blinked one time. The redhead smiled to her before gently grabbing her hand and placing it on the page. The brunette softly caressed the bird on the page while Max was still holding her hand.

- "Are you okay?"

Jane didn't answer, she seemed mesmerized, lost in her thoughts. Max hoped she didn't bring her back bad memories; maybe Jane had a macaw who died, and she was remembering this sad memory because of her. Damn, she hoped it wasn't that, it wasn't the goal! She just wanted to change her thoughts, to make her forget that she spent her last months in a coma, that she was in hospital.

- "I, I'm sorry if I did something wrong, it wasn't what I wanted, I thought it could help you to see something you used to like, but apparently not...You wanna stop?"

Max was sure Jane was going to blink one time, but she didn't, she blinked twice instead. The redhead frowned, but with a small smile. She thought she did something bad, but apparently not. She gently put Jane's hand on the bed again and searched for another bird.

- "What do you think about this one? The Gouldian finch, he is cute, you agree? (one blink) You don't have to always agree with me to make me happy, but it's fine, I guess we've the same tastes in birds, and this one has beautiful colors too. They join other groups of birds and reach the number of one or two thousand. This is too many for me, one person is already too many for me (Max chuckles). Anyway, they can join birds like long-tailed finch and masked finch, they prefer remaining anonymous, you know, being famous is complicated some times."

The two girls were cut by the nurses entering the room.

- "What are you doing here!? She is not a toy! Go back in your bed!" one of them got angry.

- "We were just talking! I wasn't playing with her!" Max replied, not scared of them.

- "I don't care! She is not stable; you can't just allow yourself to annoy other patients!"

- "Hey! Don't touch me! I'm moving!"

Max sighed loudly with her nose, put the book back again in the bag, and stood to leave. The nurses drew the curtains to be sure she couldn't see them. Once in her bed again, Max crossed her arms of anger. She didn't do anything wrong! It was just a small conversation about birds, and Jane seemed happy to see her book again, she didn't hurt her or annoy her! She was so mad, she didn't have lots entertainment right here, and talking with Jane was always her favorite one, but they managed to ruin that.