Chapter 11 : Tears

Max spent the next days in her bed, trying to play chess. She didn't think there were so many combinations, strategies, and twisted minds! She had given up the first days, but as she was bored, she kept trying, and now she could play alone. She couldn't tell if she was good or not, but, at least, she knew how to move the pieces and how to trick her, well, "opponent", even if it was herself. Anyway, today she was going back to the hospital to see if they could take off her plaster casts. She hoped they could, she wanted to skate again so bad!

Max was with her mother in the hospital. They were both waiting for the doctor to come. Meredith saw the redhead and decided to salute her:

- "Hello, Ms. Mayfield, how are you?"

- "I'm fine and you?"

- "I'm good. I hope to see you leaving without all those plaster casts!"

- "So do I!" Max lightly chuckled. "Do you have some news about Jane?"

- "Oh, yeah, but I'm not allowed to tell you as you're not a member of her family."

- "Oh...okay. I can't see her either, right?"

- "I don't think you can. But, if you were wondering, she is still in the same room, (winks) just in case."

- "Okay, thank you," Max smiled.

The nurse left them to go back to work. Max had a small smile on her face, she would find a moment to see how Jane was. But maybe Jane forgot about her, it wouldn't be surprising, she didn't saw her a lot, and she was fragile, maybe she didn't understand a word of what she was saying. She hoped not, but she would try, she had nothing to lose.

The doctor arrived and called Max and her mother. After almost an hour, Max was freed from her plaster casts and could finally walk normally. For someone who got hit by a car, she finished in good shape! While her mother was taking care of the paperwork, Max decided to take a walk in the hospital. She arrived in front of her room and froze. What if Jane didn't want to see her again? What if she was again in her coma? What if—No, no, she was thinking too much, she already didn't have a lot of time, she couldn't waste more. She lightly knocked before slowly entering. Jane was looking through the window. Her face was angry, but her eyes seemed sad.

- "Um, hey," Max shyly said.

The brunette slowly turned her head to her without doing more.

- "Uh...I, I don't know if you remember me, bu—"

- "You were my roommate," Jane slowly told.

- "Oh my god, you can talk!" Max stated, surprised. "That's amazing!"

- "Yeah, so cool."

- "Yeah, you don't seem really happy about it...What's wrong?"

- "What's wrong!? My parents died in a car crash and you ask me what's wrong!?"

- "Oh, so, you know."

- "Yeah, you still think that's amazing!?"

- "No, of course not...When did you begin to talk again?"

- "Fuck off. I don't wanna talk."

- "Okay, well, I can understand that you are angry and sad because of what happened, but let me remind you that I tried to help you while you were unable to talk, and you seemed to really appreciate it."

- "Yeah, thank you for telling me that my parents were dead! I had amazing nightmares thanks to you! Thank you so much!" Jane replied.

Max pursed her lips and didn't answer. She didn't realize that she managed to hurt Jane without knowing it. How was she doing that!? No matter what, she was hurting people! The redhead nodded, like if she was confessing to her guilt. She turned around to leave, her heart in pieces.