Chapter 17 : Reconciliation

Another day in this hospital. Jane didn't stop thinking about what Max told her the day before. She was still mad at her, she had no rights to judge her like that, she didn't know how hard it was for her! Anyway, it was hard for her to admit it, but she was right when she said she needed a family support, so she accepted to see her sister again.

The blonde young woman shyly entered the room. She didn't say a word, like if she was waiting for Jane to have a fit. But Jane didn't, even if she was angrily looking at her.

- "Um...How are you?"

- "I can't move."

- "Yeah, I know that..."

- "You didn't steal anything yet? You're not tempted by all those drugs here!?"

- "Jane, I'm clean now! I've been clean for months! You're gonna blame me for this my whole life!?" Constance replied, upset.

- "Why not!? We lost our house because of you!"

- "You asked me to come to tell me what I already know!? You want me to feel guilty for this!? You don't think I already feel bad enough for everything!? If it's the only reason, I can go, and you'll be alone in there, that's what you want!?"

- "...no..."

- "Okay, good, because that's not what I want too."

Constance scratched the back of her head before sitting next to her little sister.

- "Look, I know I hadn't always been here for you, and I clearly hate me for this, but now...now there is just me and you, we can't turn our backs to each other...I don't want to lose you too..."

- "...I don't wanna lose you too..."

Constance had a soft smile on her face. It had been a while since Jane didn't say something this nice to her. She grabbed Jane's left hand and tightened, like to thank her. But she wasn't expecting Jane to close her hand around hers.

- "You can move your left hand?" Constance said.

- "Um...I don't know, I've felt weird for hours now, I'll see with my therapist a bit later, I'll tell him."

- "Yeah, I hope it's not a bad thing."

- "I don't know..."

- "I don't think it is, if moving your hand is a bad thing now, we're screwed!"

- "Yeah, true," Jane lightly chuckled. "Hey, how was I before?"

- "How were you? You mean, your character?"

- "Yeah, was I happy? Sad? Funny? Boring? All those kinds of things!"

- "Well, I know most of people thought you were boring because you loved playing chess, but they immediately took that back when they met you, because you're passionate and you have a good sense of humor about this. You knew it was considerate as a nerd activity, but you liked laughing about it, because you didn't care, you loved it and that was all that mattered for you. You loved animals, all the animals, but you clearly prefer birds. You wanted to stop studying history to study biology instead, but you weren't sure."

- "Why?"

- "Because you love animals, and in biology there are lots of tests on animals."

- "Oh, that sucks."

- "Yeah, kinda. So, you began to look for something with animals without hurting them."

- "Did I find?"

- "Not yet."

Jane nodded.

- "Was I always angry?"

- "Um, no, you were not the kind to be angry, it happened sometimes, like for everyone, but it wasn't recurring."

- "Why am I always angry now?"

- "You have all the reasons to be angry."

- "I'm so tired by all this shit!"

- "I know, I know. But you'll be okay. I'm not letting you down."

The brunette nodded. She didn't say a word after that. In fact, she was thinking. She felt stupid for being mad at Constance like that, she clearly changed, and she must have suffered more than her when she learnt about the crash. She lost her parents too, and almost her sister too. Jane was relieved, she knew she could count on her now, she knew she would be a good support for her. But now she had tingling in her entire body, and it was beginning to worry her.