❀ 08

With our dogs hooked back on their leashes, we were ready and set to go. I gave the pond, the trees and the flower bushes one last lingering glance, quickly admiring their beauty. It was a wonder something this phenomenal, that was right within walking range, was something I'd never even found out about.

If not for Cameron, that was.

Tucking one of my hands into my short pockets, I walked alongside aforementioned boy. Our hang out wasn't the longest but I'd gotten to know him more than I already did before. Just like how I'd gotten to learn about more of the different areas of this park.

It made me wonder if there were more undiscovered picturesque places here. It also made me wonder if there would be other times where him and I would repeat this thing, he didn't even have to show me a new place. We could just stay here, or even out by the entrance of the park. It was okay.

When I was aware that my thoughts muffled my surroundings, my eyes found our dogs in front of us, their gaits lazy and relaxed as if they, too, enjoyed this walk. We'd breezed past the vines covering the entrance of the secret place and proceeded on the path that would undoubtedly lead us to the entrance.

We were retracing our steps and now we were at the path that the trees bookended, and that their branches roofed. It felt quicker than it was, and after a few minutes we were already on the trail that would lead us straight to the entrance.

It was then I realised that today was quickly drifting to an end. I was a little sad that this was ending and I wanted it continue - us hanging out together. With that thought, I lightly bumped my shoulder against Cameron's arm.

"I had fun today." I remarked, bringing my gaze to Cameron's face.

Hearing me speak caught his attention, and he looked at me. A small smile grew on his lips. "Yeah, me too."

I returned that smile, perhaps a tenfold larger. "We should do this kind of thing more often." I stated, letting the statement hang in the air, watching his reaction slowly.

His smile never faltered, still contentedly sitting on his face as he answered. "Yeah, we should, but I might run out of places to show you though. This park's only so big." He joked.

I chuckled, shaking my head. Despite knowing that he was joking, I said, "well, no. I was thinking about, you know, us hanging out." I made a show of gesturing between us as if my words didn't imply that I wanted us to be closer and us to hang out more.

His gaze lingered on my face just a little longer, before he brought it ahead and answered me. "It's still a yes."

His words made my lips curve into a smile.

-

Faster than I'd preferred it to be, we were already by the entrance. I knew we had to part ways over here; he would have to head to his side of the neighbourhood and me the other. It was inevitably coming to an end. I needed a way to contact him, so that we'd be able to actually plan out meets like this.

So I asked, "can I have your number?"

He looked a little shocked that I'd asked but nodded and recited his digits for me to save into my phone. It was then when we had to say goodbye. I waved my hand with a smile and a reassured feeling that this friendship would go far and he'd waved back with a smile that crinkled the corners of his eyes.

With that, I skipped home, Brown's leash wrapped around my hand, connected to said dog who sped quickly on her tiny legs, her tail wagging happily. The journey was quicker than usual, fueled by my giddiness and excitement. Soon, the view of my home had emerged in front of me.