"eunji is out"

jaehyun held onto my hand tightly, afraid to let go. we remained silent throughout the journey home. somehow, i felt comforted when i'm with him. i didn't have much thoughts. it was just me and jaehyun, walking home together after a long day out.

"have we done this before?" i asked him curiously.

"yup, we did this a few times. i'll always send you back home after studying in the library. you usually turned me down though, thinking that it would be a burden to me but, i always see you off. i wanted you to be safe and secure," jaehyun smiled.

my heart skipped a beat, fluttered by his words. he must have really liked me.

"when did you start to like me?" i turned to him.

"the day i first saw you?" he chuckled.

"that's not funny!" i punched jaehyun's arm.

"what? it's true! it's love at first sight!" he stopped on his tracks to look at me.

"pftt, whatever," i scoffed and continued walking home.

"hey, wait for me!" jaehyun shouted and chased after me.

it took me awhile to realise that jaehyun really cared for me, and really liked me for who i was. he didn't have any ill intentions up his sleeves. slowly after these months, he captivated my heart carefully with his innocence, his gentleman qualities, you name it. he had everything. wait, am i starting to fall for him?

"earth to jung jiwoo?" jaehyun snapped his fingers.

"what?" i replied.

"we're here," he said, signalling the entrance of my house.

"oh, uh thank you, jaehyun," i smiled.

"anytime. text me if you need anything," he grabbed my shoulders and smiled.

i smiled. what would i be without him? sighing in relief, i inched forward to the entrance. as i was about to knock, father opened the door. to my surprise, he embraced me tightly with tears in his eyes.

"i'm sorry," father apologised amidst his tears.

"i heard everything from jaehyun. i should't have ran away just like that. appa, i'm sorry," i threw my arms to his waist and sobbed painfully.

"at least you're safe," he replied.

"oh, jaehyun? you're still here?" father asked as he saw jaehyun by the door.

"good evening, sir. i'll get going," jaehyun bowed with a smile.

"come in, stay for a cup of coffee," father replied.

reluctantly, jaehyun entered the house. he was welcomed by ms yoon as well. the three of us awkwardly sat at the dining table, sipping onto our piping hot espresso shots.

"is there anything else that i need to know?" i asked father and jaehyun.

"i knew jaehyun when he was with your sister. we made a promise to pretend not know each other once you regained consciousness, in order to protect you," father explained.

"are you still upset us?" jaehyun asked as he held onto my hand.

"no. i can't afford to be upset for long. it'll take time for me to understand both of your intentions," i replied.

without any word, father and jaehyun came to me and gave me a teddy hug from both sides. i felt squashed in the middle before i could extend my arms to both of them.

"jiwoo! i love you!" father shouted.

"don't leave us again!" jaehyun faked a cry.

"you idiot. she never left us,"

"she nearly did,"

"don't make her sound like she died -"

"guys. i. can't. breathe," i tapped my their backs harshly.

"ah. sorry," both of them released me in unison.

i inhaled a sigh of relief. i could finally breathe. all of us continued talking during supper when father suddenly received a call late at night.

"give me a moment," he said before leaving jaehyun and i alone on the dining table.

"you feel better now?" jaehyun asked.

"yup, much better. thank you," i smiled.

"i'm here if you need anything, you know that right?" he looked at me with concern.

"jaehyun, you don't have to be a broken recorder," i laughed.

"just constant reminders, you know?" jaehyun rolled his eyes before laughing.

we kept the conversation going. it's never-ending with a guy like him, he talks a lot.

shortly after, father returned to the dining table wearily. we looked up to see his face, full of anxiousness and worry.

"guys, eunji is out," he said.

"from?" i asked.

"prison,"

"WHAT?" jaehyun and i stood up in shock.