"it's my fault"

for a year, her fragile body laid down on the hospital bed. three hundred and sixty five days, there were no reactions, no signals of her consciousness. jaehyun sat by her side everyday, without fail.

"jiwoo, wake up. it's been so long since i heard your voice. it's been so long since you were by my side. jiwoo, i miss you a lot. i really do. i'm sorry about eunji, i never really loved her. but, i love you. i'm sorry i was late. i'm sorry that you had to go through all of this. it's my fault, jiwoo. i should have protected you,"

the boy rested his head on her bed while holding her hand, that was just skin and bones. he wept silently, regretting his actions.

then, he felt a grip from his hand. jaehyun's head shot up, to see the girl flutter open her eyes. jaehyun's eyes widened, his heart racing rapidly. his voice drowned suddenly, he wasn't able to call out for anybody.

"jiwoo..?"

"do i know you?"

jaehyun's heart broke into a million pieces. he was shocked beyond words. with a sad smile, he bowed to her and rushed out of her intesive care unit ward.

the girl looked around to her surroundings, wires and machines bombarded her in the icy cold room. what happened? why am i here?

a few men in white coats entered her ward, along with jaehyun. the nurses began to do checks on her and started to unplug the wires all around her body.

"ms jung, thank you for making it out alive. you were in a hit-and-run car accident last year. thankfully, the driver was caught and sentenced to three years of imprisonment. however, your memories are blurry. as the accident mainly injured your upper body, the impact on your head was hard enough to trigger the memory loss. fret not, your memories will come around eventually," the doctor's simple words haunted her. car accident? memory loss? what in the world?

"your father is coming soon. meanwhile, you can stay over with this friend of yours," he gestured towards jaehyun, before making a leave.

jaehyun inched forward to see jiwoo up close. he broke into a small smile as he looked into her eyes.

"you don't remember me, at all? not even my name or where i came from?"

guilt overwhelmed jiwoo as tears began flowing down her face. she absolutely did not remember this man, who he is or where he came from. jiwoo looked up to jaehyun and sorrowfully shook her head.

"it's fine, you don't have to worry. you'll find out who i am soon," his voice broke while wiping the tears from her eyes.

"jiwoo-ah!" a voice stormed out.

"appa" jiwoo whispered painfully.

her father ran to her side and embraced her fragile daughter. her father bawled loudly, thanking Him for saving his daughter and ensuring that she was alive and well. jaehyun couldn't help but spare a tear watching the heart-wrenching father-and-daughter reunion.

"i should get going, i'll see you soon," jaehyun bowed politely to jiwoo's father.

"thank you for visiting my daughter, it really means a lot. may i know who you are? you seemed familiar," her father smiled at him

"jaehyun. my name is jung jaehyun," he answered.

"thank you, jaehyun. i'll see you again,"

jaehyun took a final deep bow before leaving the ward. his thoughts in a mess, his head spinning, his heart immensely broken. he crouched and pulled his knees close to his chest and wailed in the middle of the hallway. his tears were like his heart, full of pain, misery and sorrow as the girl he loves forgot about him.

"i'll still wait for you, jiwoo. no matter what,"