Chapter Nine: Moving Out

Surprisingly I passed my math exam with an eighty-one percent thanks to the study sessions with Jaime.

Dante went missing for the rest of the week and I didn't even catch a glimpse of him in the hallways. How can someone skip for an entire week and suffer no consequences? I skipped two days and felt like I missed a month worth of classes.

I barely saw my mom for the remainder of the week unless I was seeing the back of her head as she was walking out the front door or heading upstairs to get ready for bed.

She never faced me and always said a brief "hello" over her shoulders. She didn't ask how I was doing, or how my day went. She didn't reassure me that she had in fact spoke to Harry and told him he could no longer move in. She didn't update me on how her pregnancy was going.

She was avoiding me.

For what it's worth I was also avoiding her. I didn't have it in me to confront her or look for any more explanations.

Maybe I was expecting more from her because the fact of the matter is that she's the mother. She's the adult in this household and it is not my responsibility to reassure her for her bad decisions time and time again. I've been doing it for two fucking years.

It was Saturday morning and I was angrily eating a bowl of cereal as I waited for my coffee to seep.

Mom had just left out the front door claiming she was meeting up with a friend but I knew she was going to see Harry.

Yet she couldn't find time for me.

I'm so over her and her bullshit.

It was finally time to put things into perspective and crunch some real numbers not those ridiculous math algorithms.

I prepared my coffee and ran upstairs. I sat on my bed while setting my coffee on the small nightstand and grabbing my bookbag.

My brain was a scrambled mess as I took a pen and a few sheets of paper from my binder. I logged onto my bank account from my laptop and clicked into my savings account.

I only started actively saving four months ago when I went full time and I saved up a decent amount. I had managed to save up twenty-five hundred dollars.

The fact that I lived a simple life helped tremendously.

I spent the most money on books and hair products.

I occasionally gave mom money but she always complained and barely took it saying she'll ask for it when she needed it.

I get paid next Friday which will add an additional four hundred and sixty dollars at least. That's not bad at all, that's twenty-nine hundred.

I was afraid to look at the account that held the money my dad left me but if I was honestly considering moving out on my own I had to tap into those savings.

There's no way I would be able to do it without chipping away at that account, so with a heavy heart I got up and grabbed the folder in the closet that held all the paperwork to the account.

As I was rummaging through the closet I found the paperwork for my Jeep and decided to grab that too since I was budgeting.

I took a sip of my coffee before I even attempted to open that dark blue folder staring at it in apprehension over the rim of my mug.

When I finally opened the folder and found the login info for the account I slowly entered it into the broswer, holding my breath as the login page loaded.

My mother never told me this account even existed until I turned eighteen but it definitely wasn't what I found surprising.

The screen glared at me as black bold numbers rendered me speechless.